PITTSFIELD, Maine — Firefighters quickly extinguished burning rags ignited by incorrectly disposed wood stove ashes at a home Wednesday.

The fire was reported just after 12:30 p.m. at the Mark and Susan Chombert home on Main Street.

Fire Chief Bernard Williams said Susan Chombert was eating her lunch when she smelled smoke, could not pinpoint its source and called for help.

When firefighters arrived, the home and garage were filled with smoke. They discovered a pile of rags in the garage that had ignited when ashes from a wood stove were placed in a nonmetal container, Williams said.

“The rags were sitting right against a wall,” Williams said, “but the wall did not ignite. They were very, very lucky.”

Damage was minimal, he said, and there were no injuries.