THORNDIKE, Maine — A local woman was LifeFlighted to a Bangor hospital Tuesday after her clothes caught fire while cooking.

Ruth Reed, estimated to be in her late 70s, was taken to Eastern Maine Medical Center for treatment. Assistant fire chief Clyde Rolerson said he believed Reed suffered burns over 60 percent of her body. Rolerson said Reed was apparently cooking lunch in her Reed Road home at around noon when her clothes caught fire.

The house was not damaged by the fire. The Thorndike Fire Department and Unity Ambulance responded to the emergency.