BANGOR, Maine — Police have charged one of the men who knocked on the door of a Newton Street residence a month ago asking for help and then tried to break in while being fought off by the homeowner, Sgt. Paul Edwards said Wednesday.

The investigation into the attempted burglary led police to Dennis Wood, 46, of Bangor, who is in the Penobscot County Jail on charges that he assaulted three of his relatives on Jan. 4.

Wood was charged Tuesday with robbery in connection with the Dec. 14 crime.

“I think we have a pretty good case based on the investigation,” Edwards said.

On Dec. 14, two men knocked on the door of the Newton Street residence and asked for help, saying their car had broken down. One of them then tried to break in but was fought off by the homeowner, police say.

A husband and wife who were not identified reside in the home, Bangor police Sgt. Chip Hodges said at the time of the crime. The 911 call for help was made around 6 p.m. Dec. 14.

“The call came from her while he was having the altercation with the intruders,” Hodges said.

The two men “told the resident that their car had broken down and they needed to use a telephone,” the sergeant said. “When the resident reached inside to get a portable phone, one of the males tried to force his way into the house. The resident was able to fight off the subjects.”

The intruders then took off on foot. The husband suffered a minor injury during the altercation, Hodges said.

Since there were two men involved in the attempted burglary and only Wood has been arrested, the investigation is continuing, Edwards said.

“We’re still investigating any other possible suspects,” he said.

During the Jan. 4 assault, Bangor police were called to Wood’s sister’s Langley Street residence after she reported that he was assaulting her and had struck her two children, ages 10 and 18, when they intervened to help, police said.

The Police Department’s special response team was sent to Langley Street, but Wood wasn’t there. About two hours later he was located at a nearby Union Street residence and was arrested without incident. He was charged with being a felon in possession of a firearm, domestic violence assault, two counts of assault and violation of a protection order.

Wood told police he fled the scene, because he has a criminal record and was afraid he would be arrested, police said at the time of his arrest. He remains in jail unable to post $10,000 cash bail associated with the Jan. 4 arrest.

Wood is scheduled to appear in court March 10 on the Jan. 4 charges. His jury trial has been scheduled tentatively for April 4.

If convicted, he faces up to five years in prison and a fine of up to $5,000 on the firearms charge. If convicted on the other charges, he faces up to a year in jail and a fine of up to $2,000 on each count.

Deputy District Attorney Mike Roberts said Wednesday that Wood’s bail was set at $100,000 cash for the robbery, which is in addition to the $10,000 cash for the previous charges stemming for the family fight.

He is scheduled to be in court to face the robbery charge on March 11. More charges are expected to be presented to the grand jury in either January or February, Roberts said.

If Wood is convicted of the felony robbery charge from the December incident, he faces up to 30 years in prison and a fine of up to $50,000.

BDN reporters Dawn Gagnon and Judy Harrison contributed to this report.

CORRECTION: Wood only faces a robbery charge in connection with the Dec. 14 incident. Incorrect information was provided to the Bangor Daily News.