BANGOR, Maine — Bangor police removed a man’s body from an Ohio Street apartment complex Monday and consider the death suspicious, Lt. Tim Reid said.

The death at 682 Ohio St., the location of Ledgewood 1, a 24-unit apartment complex, is the second suspicious death reported in Bangor in the past week. The first death, also that of a man, was reported on Fourth Street on Thursday, and the name of the deceased and cause of death are still being withheld, the lieutenant said.

A person police are not identifying called 911 at around 8:35 a.m. Monday to request an ambulance at 682 Ohio St. When rescue crews arrived, “a male was found to be deceased and because of the nature of the cause,” the medical examiner was called, said Reid, who heads the Bangor Police Department’s Criminal Investigation Division.

Deputy Medical Examiner Ed David could be seen assisting Bangor police at the Ohio Street apartment scene. He said later that it is highly unusual to have two suspicious deaths in the city in one week.

Police are not releasing any additional information about the Ledgewood apartment death, including who lived in the apartment with the man and what made the death suspicious, until after an autopsy is complete, Reid said .

“It’s early in the investigation,” he said. “We’re just talking to people.”

A small-framed body was loaded into the medical examiner’s van just after noon and it was taken from the scene at around 1:15 p.m. The man’s autopsy should be complete Tuesday or Wednesday, Reid said, adding that once his cause of death is determined police will decide whether any charges will be filed.

Neighbor Patricia Cushman, who moved into the Ohio Street apartment complex in February, said she was surprised that someone died in a suspicious way so close to her home.

“This is crazy,” she said. “This is a quiet neighborhood normally.”

Her sister-in-law Carol Urquhart, who moved in April into an apartment two doors down from the scene of the man’s death, said she was home when police arrived.

“I didn’t hear anything and I live right here,” she said from her back porch.

Reid said there was nothing new to release about the suspicious death on Fourth Street, but he did say an investigator from the medical examiner’s office was in town Monday to do further testing at the scene.

“The identity [of the victim] is under the realm of the medical examiner’s office,” Reid said Monday, adding that additional information may be released “tomorrow or the next day.”

An eyewitness who spoke to the Bangor Daily News and asked not to be identified said an argument over religion led to the death of the man early Thursday morning at 94-96 Fourth St. “These two were talking about religion. One believed in God. The other one didn’t,” he has said. “They were provoking each other all night and it just escalated into [the person who lived in the apartment] strangling the guy. He couldn’t breathe. I told him to stop but he wouldn’t.”

The eyewitness to the fight said that once the victim appeared to have stopped breathing, other visitors tried to give him mouth-to-mouth resuscitation.

“I walked outside and called the cops,” he said. “When I came around to the back of the building, the body was being dragged over near the Dumpster. I think someone threw him out the window, but I didn’t see that.”

When emergency personnel arrived, they found a man dead in the driveway on the 94 side of the duplex, Detective Sgt. Paul Kenison said last week, standing outside the apartment.

BDN reporters Judy Harrison and Dawn Gagnon contributed to this article.