BANGOR, Maine — Police arrested two teenagers and charged them with felony burglary early Tuesday after they allegedly were seen running away from Nicky’s Cruisin’ Diner while the business’s burglary alarm was going off.

After police arrested Michael A. Reis, 19, of New Sharon and a 17-year-old Bangor boy, Reis became combative and kicked out two windows in a police cruiser and dented the window frame of a second cruiser, Bangor police Sgt. Paul Edwards said in a press release.

Reis was charged with two additional offenses — felony aggravated criminal mischief and misdemeanor refusing to submit to arrest — after the police cars were damaged.

Police went to the Union Street restaurant just before 2:30 a.m. in response to an audible alarm and found “a broken window on one side and what appeared to be cinder blocks in the form of steps leading to the window,” Edwards said.

While officers were investigating the burglary, a witness called and reported seeing “two people running away from the building towards Ohio Street after the alarm sounded,” the sergeant said.

Officer Kim Donnell stopped Reis and the 17-year-old near an Ohio Street apartment complex shortly after the burglary. They later were arrested at a Longrail Avenue residence on the felony burglary charges after the manager at the diner provided video surveillance images of the break-in.

During the arrest, Reis “became aggressive towards the officers and had to be physically restrained,” Edwards said. “Once [he] was placed inside a police car, he became more violent and kicked out both of the back windows of the car. He was restrained again, placed in another police car, and while being transported to the jail attempted to once again kick out one of the back windows of the second police car, causing damage to the frame.”

Reis allegedly caused approximately $1,000 in damage to the two cars, which were taken out of commission for repairs.

Reis was taken to the Penobscot County Jail and the juvenile was taken to Mountain View Youth Development Center in Charleston.

If convicted of either felony burglary or aggravated criminal mischief, Reis could face up to five years in prison and a fine of up to $5,000.