BANGOR, Maine — The teenager accused of breaking a window and setting off an alarm at Nicky’s Cruisin’ Diner, then kicking out the back windows in a Bangor police car and trying to kick out a window in another cruiser, remained Wednesday at the Penobscot County Jail unable to make bail.

Michael Reis, also known as Michael Bissonette, 19, of New Sharon made his first appearance Wednesday at the Penobscot Judicial Center on charges of burglary and aggravated criminal mischief.

Superior Court Justice William Anderson set bail at $5,000 cash or $20,000 surety.

Stephen Burlock, assistant district attorney for Penobscot County, said Wednesday that he requested the high bail because Reis has a number of juvenile convictions for burglary.

Reis’ bail conditions include not returning to the restaurant and having no contact with the 17-year-old boy who was accused of being with Reis at the time of the burglary early Tuesday morning.

Police arrested the pair after they allegedly were seen running away from the restaurant while the business’s burglar alarm was going off.

Reis became combative and kicked out two windows in a police cruiser and dented the window frame of a second cruiser, Bangor police Sgt. Paul Edwards said in a press release Tuesday.

Police went to the Union Street restaurant just before 2:30 a.m. Tuesday in response to an audible alarm and found “a broken window on one side and what appeared to be cinder blocks in the form of steps leading to the window,” Edwards said.

While officers were investigating the burglary, a witness called and reported seeing “two people running away from the building towards Ohio Street after the alarm sounded,” the sergeant said.

Officer Kim Donnell stopped Reis and the 17-year-old near an Ohio Street apartment complex shortly after the burglary. They later were arrested at a Longrail Avenue residence on the felony burglary charges after the manager at the diner provided video surveillance images of the break-in.

During the arrest, Reis “became aggressive towards the officers and had to be physically restrained,” Edwards said. “Once [he] was placed inside a police car, he became more violent and kicked out both of the back windows of the car. He was restrained again, placed in another police car, and while being transported to the jail attempted to once again kick out one of the back windows of the second police car, causing damage to the frame.”

Reis allegedly caused approximately $1,000 in damage to the two cars, which were taken out of commission for repairs.

Reis was taken to the Penobscot County Jail and the juvenile was taken to Mountain View Youth Development Center in Charleston.

If convicted of either charge, Reis could face up to five years in prison and a fine of up to $5,000.

BDN writer Nok-Noi Ricker contributed to this report.