BANGOR, Maine — A gas leak near the Maine Veterans’ Home on Hogan Road reported at 1:30 p.m. Monday has been capped, Assistant Fire Chief Scott Bostock said.

“A construction crew there doing work hit a 2-inch gas main that ruptured,” he said.

A Bangor Gas Co. crew was dispatched to the scene a short time later and installed a valve to stop the leak, temporarily fixing the line, Bostock said.

The initial report of the leak said that natural gas was flowing heavily, according to Bangor police Sgt. Paul Edwards. He added that the gas leak caused traffic from Dorothea Dix Psychiatric Center to be diverted.

The fire department requested that everybody at the veterans home remain inside after the leak was reported, said Greg Urban, administrator at Maine Veterans’ Home.

The staff at the home moved residents to the opposite side of the building from the leak and shut off electrical systems, Bostock said.

“They did a good job,” he said.

Firefighters were at the scene for about an hour and one police officer assisted with traffic control.

“I still have one engine crew up there [taking air quality measurements] to make sure it’s safe for residents to move back to their rooms,” Bostock said at mid-afternoon.