BANGOR, Maine — A federal judge on Tuesday sentenced a former Aroostook County woman to nearly six years in prison for bringing oxycodone, a powerful prescription painkiller, into Maine from Detroit, Mich., last year.

In addition to five years and 10 months in federal prison, U.S. District Judge John Woodcock sentenced Ebony Davis, 25, of New Castle, Pa., to three years of supervised release after she completes her prison term.

“Many people in Maine have developed an insatiable appetite for oxycodone,” Woodcock said in sentencing Davis. “This appetite for oxycodone has caused pain, misery, heartache and untold mischief in northern Maine.

“You became a one-woman misery factory,” the judge continued. “You bear, it seems to me, a heavy responsibility for keeping Aroostook County awash in its addiction.”

Davis was living in Caribou with her father when she was arrested on Jan. 22, 2010. Acting on a tip, agents with the U.S Drug Enforcement Administration picked her up shortly after she arrived at a Bangor bus station with more than 300 80-milligram oxycodone pills.

She told investigators that she had purchased them for $28 each in the Motor City, according to the prosecution version of events to which Davis pleaded guilty. The pills could be sold for between $80 and $100 each in Maine.

Davis said that 125 of the 312 pills in her possession were for her own use, Assistant U.S. Attorney Joel Casey told Woodcock at the 90-minute sentencing hearing. The rest she planned to sell or were for another person Casey did not name.

The defendant, who moved to Pennsylvania to live with her mother after she was charged, told the judge Tuesday that she believes she will come out of prison “a better person.”

“On the surface, I kept everything together,” Davis said, referring to her completing college. “But I never addressed the issues underneath the surface. Today I am shackled, but I’m free right now.”

She waived indictment and pleaded guilty to possession with the intent to distribute a controlled substance in March 2011.

Davis faced up to 20 years in prison and a fine of up to $1 million. Under the prevailing federal sentencing guidelines, she faced between five years and 10 months and seven years and three months in prison.

Assistant U.S. Attorney Joel Casey, who prosecuted the case, recommended that Davis serve six years and two months behind bars. Federal Public Defender Virginia Villa urged Woodcock to go outside the federal sentencing guidelines and send Davis to prison for four years and nine months.