BANGOR, Maine — A Medway man who police say attempted to run over an Orono police sergeant with a car during a 15-mile high-speed chase Friday night through Old Town, Orono and Milford is being held on $20,000 cash bail, a jail official said Monday.

Lauren MacArthur, 27, remained at the Penobscot County Jail on Monday night.

MacArthur, who allegedly reached speeds of nearly 100 mph during the chase, is charged with aggravated attempted murder, felony eluding a police officer and reckless conduct with a dangerous weapon, as well as operating after suspension, violation of a condition of release, refusing to submit to arrest and criminal speed.

MacArthur, who was behind the wheel of a 2007 Toyota Yaris, could go to prison for up to 30 years if convicted of aggravated attempted murder for trying to run the police sergeant over.

The sergeant was able to jump out of the path of MacArthur’s vehicle to avoid being hit, said Maine State Police Trooper Chris Hashey, who was pursuing MacArthur and eventually used his cruiser to ram into the car MacArthur was driving.

MacArthur was driving south on Interstate 95 about 9:15 p.m. Friday when Hashey attempted to pull him over for an obstructed registration sticker and license plate a mile north of the Stillwater Avenue exit in Old Town. When he attempted to stop MacArthur, Hashey said he believed there was an outstanding warrant for him and that MacArthur was armed and dangerous.

It was not until the chase ended that Hashey learned the warrant for MacArthur no longer was active.

The driver refused to stop, Hashey said Saturday. Instead, MacArthur sped up, took the exit onto Stillwater Avenue and headed into downtown Old Town, the trooper said. MacArthur took Center Street to U.S. Route 2 and turned right toward Orono. Once in Orono, the driver turned right on College Avenue.

An Orono police sergeant who was directing traffic at the Alfond Arena entrance to the University of Maine was attempting to clear College Avenue of traffic when MacArthur purposely swerved toward him, according to Hashey.

After almost hitting the police officer, MacArthur crossed Stillwater Avenue and continued speeding on College Avenue Extension, according to the state trooper. One of MacArthur’s tires was punctured by a spike mat set out by deputies with the Penobscot County Sheriff’s Office, but MacArthur reportedly kept going.

He turned right on Gilman Falls Road and led police into Milford. As MacArthur was turning left onto Route 178, Hashey said he rammed his cruiser into the car MacArthur was driving. That disabled the car, the trooper said, but MacArthur jumped out and fled on foot toward Bradley.

Hashey caught up with MacArthur and placed him under arrest about 9:30 p.m.

The cruiser had damage to the front bumper and front passenger-side lights, according to the trooper. The Yaris, which is not registered to MacArthur, had significant damage.

Because he is charged with felonies, MacArthur had to appear before a judge on Monday at the Penobscot Judicial Center for his bail to be set.

In addition to setting MacArthur’s bail, the judge also barred him from driving and consuming alcohol or illegal drugs, the jail official said. The judge placed MacArthur under house arrest if he manages to make bail, he said.

MacArthur could face additional charges once the case is reviewed by the Penobscot County District Attorney’s Office.

Hashey said a firearm was found near MacArthur’s car once it was stopped. If it is linked to MacArthur, he could be charged in federal court with being a felon in possession of a firearm.