LAMOINE, Maine — A fire Monday morning damaged the utility room of a home on Misty Way but did not result in any injuries, according to a local fire official.

Assistant Fire Chief Stu Marckoon said Tuesday that the blaze was reported at the house of Steve Rauch, located off Partridge Cove Road, at 6:15 a.m. Monday. Rauch discovered the blaze and tried to extinguish it but was unable to do so, he said.

The room, which only can be entered from the outside, is where the home’s water heater is located and where the power supply enters the house, Marckoon said.

“It started in a storeroom that’s attached to the house,” he said. “The cause was electrical.”

Firefighters quickly knocked down the fire and then extinguished it, limiting damage to a wall that divides the room from the rest of the house, according to Marckoon. He said Bangor Hydro-Electric Co. cut power to the home during the initial response to the fire but that he was not sure if power had been restored.

“The house is certainly livable,” Marckoon said.

He added that the home is insured.

Firefighters from Ellsworth and Hancock assisted 11 from Lamoine who went to fight the fire. About 20 firefighters participated. Marckoon estimated that it took only about 50 gallons of water to put out the fire and that firefighters were at the scene for a total of only about 90 minutes.

Avatar photo

Bill Trotter

A news reporter in coastal Maine for more than 20 years, Bill Trotter writes about how the Atlantic Ocean and the state's iconic coastline help to shape the lives of coastal Maine residents and visitors....