LAMOINE, Maine — Maine State Police are investigating the circumstances surrounding a shooting early Sunday morning in the Hancock County community of Lamoine that left one man dead and three others hospitalized.

Lawrence “Randy” Sinclair, 32, of Ellsworth died of gunshot wounds late Sunday afternoon, while Torrey Garland, 34, of Ellsworth remained in critical condition at Eastern Maine Medical Center in Bangor.

Also being treated at the Bangor hospital was Michael Carter, 30, of Lamoine. The fourth man shot is Joshua McKinney, 35, from Ellsworth, who was being treated at Maine Coast Memorial Hospital in Ellsworth. McKinney’s wound was not considered to be life-threatening, according to police.

A fifth man also was at the scene at the time of the shootings, and was not injured. Police would not identify the man.

A team of State Police detectives was investigating the circumstances of the shootings, which were reported at about 4:30 a.m. outside the home of Carter and 22-year-old Tacy Mullins at 749 Douglas Highway. Detectives were still looking for evidence inside the house and on the surrounding property at 8:30 p.m., according to Maine State Police spokesman Stephen McCausland.

McCausland said details remained sketchy as detectives worked on sorting out the situation that occurred outside of the residence owned by Juanita Mullins, who is Tacy’s mother. McCausland said no arrests had been made as of Sunday evening, but said police believe “all the players are accounted for” and that there is no danger to the public.

A neighbor whose home is about 100 yards from the shooting scene said he was awakened by the sound of gunshots.

“I heard three gunshots,” he said, asking not to be identified. “But that’s not unusual. The person who lives across the street repairs guns, so we hear shots a lot.”

The Lamoine shooting scene was cordoned off by crime scene tape Sunday morning as a state police major crimes unit evidence response team searched the property, inside and out.

State Police Lt. Chris Coleman said Sunday afternoon that investigators had many more questions than answers. A road accident near the shooting scene may have been a factor.

“We have several different versions of what happened,” Coleman said. “There was a truck that hit a tree not far from the scene. Whether that was related, we’re still trying to determine.”

“The circumstances that sparked this violence have yet to be determined,” McCausland said, later adding that detectives would continue investigating at the scene Monday.

According to earlier police reports, a man with the same name, age and hometown as Sinclair was involved in a separate accident involving a vehicle and a utility pole late Saturday afternoon that caused a traffic jam on busy Route 1A between Bangor and Ellsworth.

Officer Tom Burgess of the Holden Police Department said the driver got distracted and lost control of his 2002 Ford Explorer. He struck a utility pole where Route 1A intersects with Bagaduce Road.

“He cut [the pole] right off,” Burgess said.

The accident backed up traffic in both directions because the utility pole was lying across Bagaduce Road, forcing cars to be rerouted.

“He walked away without a scratch,” Burgess said, referring to the driver. The vehicle, however, was totaled.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.