CARIBOU, Maine — The former chief of the Caribou Fire and Ambulance Department was indicted by the Aroostook County grand jury on several sex charges on Friday.

Aroostook County District Attorney Todd Collins said Monday that he cannot divulge much information about the charges against Roy E. Woods, 67, of Caribou, who was indicted on three counts of unlawful sexual contact that involved penetration, one count of unlawful sexual touching and three counts of assault.

“There are two victims in the case,” Collins said Monday. “He has not been arrested. We do not believe he is a flight risk. Arrangements are being made for his arraignment on the charges.”

Court documents stated that Woods was indicted on three counts of unlawful sexual contact with the first victim, who is identified in court documents only by her initials. The Bangor Daily News typically does not identify victims and is not publishing the initials.

The indictment charged that Woods twice had unlawful sexual contact with the first victim on or about Aug. 1, 2009, and once on or about Jan. 1, 2010. The indictment states that Woods subjected the woman to sexual contact to which the victim “had not expressly or impliedly acquiesced.”

Woods also was charged with one count of assault with the same victim on each of the same dates.

The indictment also stated that Woods subjected a second victim to unlawful sexual touching on or about Dec. 23, 2011, which is also when an alleged assault occurred.

On the assault charges, the indictment alleges that Woods “did intentionally, knowingly or recklessly cause bodily injury or offensive physical contact” to the victims.

The alleged crimes reportedly all occurred in Caribou.

Woods resigned in January after 44 years with the Caribou Fire and Ambulance Department, including 21 years as the head of fire, ambulance and emergency management services for the city. According to a copy of his resignation letter, Woods said he was resigning for “medical reasons.”

However, Caribou City Manager Steven Buck issued a statement indicating that he accepted the resignation “in lieu of termination” after an investigation into a complaint filed against the fire chief by a city employee.

In his letter, Woods said that “the stress of being chief of fire, ambulance and EMS director for the city of Caribou for 21 years has become more than my wife and I can handle. For medical reasons, I must resign.”

Woods went on to say that he “spent his life” working to protect the city, working his way up from firefighter to firefighter/paramedic instructor and eventually chief.

In his statement to the media, Buck referred to an investigation into a complaint against Woods.

“An independent investigation into the personnel matter was conducted with an expanded scope,” said Buck. “After extensive review and evaluation of the results of the investigation, my own evaluation and after reviewing these evaluations with Woods and a subsequent review of his responses, I accepted his immediate resignation.”

Woods is scheduled to be arraigned in July. He could not immediately be reached for comment Monday.