ROCKLAND, Maine — The 5-year-old boy who had his left hand severed in a freak accident two weeks ago is expected to be released from the hospital Tuesday.

And the boy’s supporters turned out in large numbers for a benefit held Monday night outside the Trackside Station restaurant to help the family of Noah Keene pay for expenses incurred since the accident.

Noah and his mother Cassidy Keene were in attendance by Skype from the boy’s room at Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston, where surgeons reattached the hand.

Kelly Woods, an owner of the Trackside and one of the organizers of the benefit, said the turnout was well beyond everyone’s expectations. She estimated more than 500 people turned out throughout the evening.

“It was amazing, absolutely amazing,” Woods said.

The Monday night benefit raised more than $25,000 and along with a fund set up at a local bank, the amount raised for the family in two weeks is nearing $30,000.

“I’m really proud of everyone. We are fortunate to live in such a great place, where people care,” she said.

Hundreds of people packed the Trackside parking lot for an auction led by Bruce Gamage Jr. of items donated by businesses and individuals in the community.

Tiffany Monroe, another organizer, thanked the crowd.

“They say it takes a village to raise a child. We are showing that it takes a village to help a child,” Monroe said. “I’ve never been so proud of our community.”

Woods said Shannon Kinney of Dream Local helped set up the Skype connection with her computer and the Trackside’s large screen television so supporters in attendance could see Noah and his mom.

The child, who was riding in the back seat of a car driven by his grandmother on June 27, had wrapped one end of a jump rope around his wrist while the other end dangled out the window. As another vehicle drove by the car, the rope got caught on the other car. The vehicle pulled the rope as it was driving away, severing the hand, according to police.

The child initially was taken to Pen Bay Medical Center in Rockport before being driven to Mass General by ambulance.

Woods said Monday night that Noah was expected to be discharged from the Boston hospital Tuesday but the family was going to have remain down there for a little longer so doctors can monitor his progress.