BANGOR, Maine — The medical examiner has identified the man mortally wounded Tuesday night in the Queen City’s first homicide for the year as 30-year-old Thomas N. Taylor.

An autopsy conducted Wednesday morning determined Taylor died from “a stab wound to the chest,” said Mark Belserene, a spokesman for the state medical examiner’s office.

Taylor had a “perforation of the lungs and heart,” he said.

Police were called to Birch Circle apartments, located at 1160 Ohio St., for an altercation shortly after 6 p.m. Tuesday, and found Taylor in the parking lot bleeding from the stab wound, Bangor police Sgt. Paul Edwards said.

He was taken to Eastern Maine Medical Center, where he later died.

The occupants of a vehicle that left the scene after the stabbing have been located and interviewed, Edwards said.

“At this time, it appears that the people involved in the altercation knew each other and there is no threat to the public,” he said in a Wednesday statement.

What led to the argument is a question Edwards said he could not answer.

A fellow Birch Circle resident and neighbor of Taylor, remembered him as a good father.

Another neighbor said he didn’t know what was happening until he saw flashing police lights, and a third said he saw the fatal stabbing.

“I witnessed it but I don’t want to talk about it,” the man said Wednesday morning, with a woman standing in the door looking out with a worried look on her face. He and the other two neighbors asked not to be identified.

“My family’s pretty freaked out,” he said. “I knew him. We all knew him.”

One person identified as a suspect Tuesday night “had been hanging out there for quite a few days,” another neighbor said from the scene Wednesday morning.

The female neighbor said that Taylor has a child the same age as hers.

“His son and my son are in the same grade,” she said. “He was super good to his kid. He was always out there playing. It’s so sad.”

She and another man who has lived in the apartment complex for about two years said usually things are very quiet for residents, except for the sound of playing children. Many of the doors had outdoor play equipment beside them.

“You have to have children or be disabled to live here,” he said. “It’s crazy.”

He said police blocked the entrance for quite a while to collect evidence and talk to witnesses.

The police department’s Evidence Response Team went to the complex and police are working with the attorney general’s office and the medical examiner’s office, Edwards said.

No one has been charged in the homicide and the case remains under investigation, he said.

Tuesday’s deadly stabbing was the first reported in Bangor in 2013. Three fatal stabbings were occurred in Bangor in 2012.

Gail Judd, 53, stabbed 47-year-old Michael Drouin of Bangor in her Court Street apartment on Feb. 22, 2012, according to police. Judd last month pleaded no contest to murder at the Penobscot Judicial Center and was found guilty but not criminally responsible.

Jason Trickett, a 41-year-old transient, allegedly stabbed 38-year-old Andy Smith during a street brawl on First Street on May 22, 2012. He pleaded not guilty last June and his case has yet to go to trial.

Jeffrey S. LeBlanc, 34, died after being stabbed in the abdomen by Scott Plummer early Dec. 29, 2012, while fighting in Plummer’s residence at 80 Elm St. Plummer since has been cleared in that death. The Maine attorney general’s office in January ruled that he was acting in self-defense when he fatally stabbed his attacker and will not be prosecuted.

Those with information about or who witnessed the stabbing can call the Bangor Police Department at 947-7382. The anonymous tip line can be reached by pressing 6.

BDN reporter Dawn Gagnon contributed to this story.