ALTON, Maine — A police pursuit that started after a witness reported a man stumbling badly just before he got into his car in Milford ended when the car crashed into trees off Route 43 early Saturday, police said Sunday.

Jason Cook, 32, of Brewer, was in fair condition at Eastern Maine Medical Center on Sunday following the pursuit and the crash, a nursing supervisor said.

Cook will face several charges, including criminal speeding, driving to endanger, eluding an officer and violation of conditions of release, Old Town police Sgt. Michael Hashey said in a statement.

It was unclear on Sunday afternoon whether Cook had been charged.

The pursuit began shortly after Penobscot County sheriffs radioed Old Town police about 12:30 a.m. Saturday seeking help finding a green sedan with a loud exhaust system in Milford headed toward Old Town, Hashey said.

The sedan’s driver had been reportedly seen stumbling as he walked before getting into the vehicle, which was seen racing along Call Road, Hashey said. The sheriffs reported that the sedan had been last seen on Route 2 heading into Old Town.

Hashey said he saw a car matching the description sheriff’s deputies provided in downtown Old Town. The sedan engine was revving loudly and it sped north on Route 2 moving very fast, Hashey said.

Hashey pursued the sedan into Milford and tried to stop it on Call Road in Milford and as it headed into a trailer park. The sedan’s driver refused to stop and led Hashey back onto Call Road, Route 2 and into Old Town, Hashey said.

Old Town Officer Jim Fearon joined the pursuit as it continued onto Center Street and Stillwater Avenue, changing direction to head back toward Main Street. The sedan turned onto Gilman Falls Road, or Route 43, before the driver lost control and crashed into several trees off Stagecoach Road in Alton.

The officers found and identified Cook in the wreckage, Hashey said.

The length of time the pursuit consumed, and the top speeds reached, were not included in Hashey’s press statement.

Penobscot County Sheriff’s Office deputies are handling the investigation. Bangor police officers are reconstructing the accident with help from state police. Orono and Veazie police assisted in the pursuit or the handling of the accident, Hashey said.