BANGOR, Maine — The mother of a missing 15-year-old Glenburn girl made an emotional plea on Wednesday for the safe return of her daughter, Nichole Cable, who was last seen Sunday evening on Route 221 in her hometown.

“I would like to say, ‘Nichole, we love you and if you’re scared because you ran away — you’re not in trouble. It’s OK,’” Cable’s mother, Kristine Wiley, said at a Penobscot County Sheriff’s Office press conference with her husband, Jason Wiley, standing beside her. “If somebody has her — I don’t care [what happened] — take her to a gas station or a park. I don’t know what else to say. I’m waiting for you to call me and I love you.”

Deputy Chief Troy Morton leaned over and motioned for her to display the pictures she had of her daughter, one of which showed the teenage girl in a cheering uniform, and two others that were school portraits.

“This is my daughter,” Wiley said, showing the pictures to members of the media. “If you see her, please let the authorities know. Help me bring her home.”

The parents requested they not be questioned by the media, Morton said.

There are 45 law enforcement personnel — federal, state, county and municipal — working the missing person case, Morton said.

“We want the public to know we are using every available resource to locate Nichole,” Morton said, later noting that Maine wardens were conducting a ground search for the Old Town High School student.

Cpl. John McDonald of the Maine Warden Service said a search was taking place in Glenburn. The exact location was not disclosed.

The FBI, the National Center for Missing Children, the Maine State Police computer crimes unit, Bangor Police Department and others are assisting in the case, Morton said.

“We are filtering literally hundreds of calls,” Morton said.

Sheriff Glenn Ross also was in the room and posted himself near the family.

The search is also being aided by social media. Cable’s parents set up a “Bring Nichole Cable Home” Facebook page that had more than 2,400 members as of late Wednesday afternoon.

An update at the top of the Facebook page stated that Nichole Cable was last known to be with a male using a fictitious name.

Morton said after the press conference that he could not comment on the post but said all avenues are being pursued. Asked if Cable may have been abducted, Morton said, “We are not going to rule out anything.” He also said the computer crimes unit is working on tracing her steps online and with her cellphone. Morton said he could not say if police believe she still has her phone, because of the ongoing investigation.

When asked if the investigation spanned beyond Maine, Morton responded by saying, “We are following up on tips wherever they lead us.”

Police agencies throughout the state have shared Cable’s description on Facebook, along with New England Cable News, based in Boston.

Fliers of the missing teen have been posted all around Old Town. Nearly every utility pole on Main Street had Cable’s picture on it Wednesday.

Many downtown stores in Old Town also had the flier in a window.

A worker at Tim’s Store at the corner of Main Street and Stillwater Avenue said three groups of teens came to the store to post fliers on Tuesday.

Cable is 5 feet, 1 inch tall, weighs 90 pounds and has brown hair and blue eyes. The teen has her nose, lip and ears pierced. She was last seen wearing jeans and a pink sweatshirt, according to her father.

Anyone with information about her whereabouts is asked to call the Penobscot County Sheriff’s Office at 947-4585.

BDN reporter Alex Barber contributed to this report.