BANGOR, Maine — Bangor police have released the name of the man who was charged Tuesday in connection with a trespassing incident at the home of internationally renowned horror writer Stephen King and his novelist wife, Tabitha King.

Christopher Prince, 29, of Orono reportedly went into the Kings’ residence on West Broadway about 9:30 a.m. Tuesday, Bangor police Sgt. Catherine Rumsey said in a news release Thursday. The Kings were not home at the time, she said.

An employee of the Kings who is taking care of the property ordered the man to leave the property, which is posted with “No Trespassing” signs, Bangor police Lt. Bob Bishop said in an interview Wednesday night.

The man — who did leave after he was ordered to do so — was found shortly afterward just up the street from the Kings’ home, Bishop said.

Rumsey said the accused intruder was uncooperative with police. When Officer Taylor Bagley found Prince and tried to speak with him, Prince reportedly became uncooperative and combative.

Prince was charged with refusing to submit to arrest or detention and served a criminal trespass order for the Kings’ property, Rumsey said.

Prince has a history of theft arrests and convictions, according to Bangor Daily News archives. He was arrested on theft charges two times within less than a week in February of last year.

He also has convictions for violating conditions of release, operating a vehicle while his license was suspended or revoked, disorderly conduct, and operating a motor vehicle while under the influence of intoxicants, the BDN listings state.

This week’s incident — which happened within days of Halloween — was not the first time intruders have bothered the Kings.

According to the Bangor Daily News archives, security at the authors’ Victorian mansion was increased in 1991 after a Texas man who claimed he had a bomb broke into the house while Tabitha King was home alone. She ran to a neighbor’s house and called police.

Erik Keene, then 26, of San Antonio, Texas, told reporters that he broke into the house because Stephen King allegedly stole the plot for his best seller “Misery” from Keene’s aunt. He was sentenced to two years with all but 127 days suspended after pleading guilty to burglary. After serving his sentence, he was extradited to Texas on a parole violation.

The next year, police served a California man with a protection-from-harassment order when he arrived in Bangor. Steven Lightfoot, then 28, of San Francisco claimed to have discerned through coded messages that Stephen King killed John Lennon.

Lightfoot parked his van plastered with what he called evidence that King killed the former member of the Beatles in downtown Bangor. He drew curious spectators for a few weeks, but Bangor residents weren’t persuaded by his thesis.

In 2003, a then-38-year-old Czech man was charged with stalking after leaving notes on the authors’ mailbox and approaching Tabitha King while she was walking her dog.