Hampered by another bout of rain and freezing rain, utility workers around the state scrambled Monday to try to keep up with restoring power to thousands of people — some of whom might not see their service restored until as late as noon Friday.

By evening, crews were losing ground as the number of customers without power shot up to more than 105,000 in the Bangor Hydro Electric and Central Maine Power coverage areas. The number was more than 108,000 as of 6 a.m. Tuesday.

Waldo, Washington, Hancock and Kennebec counties appeared to be the hardest hit, with more than 31,000 left in the dark in Kennebec County alone. Another 17,000 customers in Waldo County were without power.

“We’ve been watching the power outage numbers climb throughout the day,” Bruce Fitzgerald, acting director of the Maine Emergency Management Agency, said Monday afternoon. “It seems like they’ve doubled every hour.”

Late Monday afternoon, the Waldo County Emergency Management Agency opened an emergency shelter in Troy Howard Middle School in Belfast because half of the area’s residents were expected to remain without power overnight.

“The Red Cross should be there momentarily,” Dale Rowley of Waldo County EMA said. “They’ll do feedings. They’ll have cots and blankets and showers. They can stay overnight, if there’s anybody that needs it. It’s not going to be luxury accommodations, like in ’98 when MBNA ran the shelter.”

A shelter also was opened at Washington County Community College in Calais, Lynette Miller, director of the Maine Emergency Management Agency, said late Monday afternoon in an email.

Fitzgerald said that the icy storm system lingered longest over the Penobscot Bay area, causing the most harm there. Still, the weather system will not be as severe as the ice storm of 1998, he said.

“We had statewide issues in ’98. Several days worth of freezing rain. This storm took longer to develop than we thought, but after this last little bit blows through, there’s nothing behind it. Once it’s clear, it’ll be clear for awhile,” he said.

In advance of the weekend ice storm, the Maine Center for Disease Control and Prevention issued an announcement reminding people to use portable generators as well as outdoor cooking devices outside if they lose power in order to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning. Fitzgerald urged people to stay away from downed power lines and to practice chain saw safety.

In Ellsworth, where more than 4,000 Bangor Hydro customers were without power in the afternoon, town officials issued an emergency notice urging people to go home before dark. Several roads remained blocked by downed trees and power lines, in some cases leading to traffic accidents.

“Our resources are getting stretched,” said Ellsworth City Manager Michelle Beal. The city asked people to return to their homes so public utility workers “can clean up and do what they need to do,” she said.

Public safety and emergency management officials in Ellsworth and Hancock County were urging people to stay off the roads, noted Beal. “Especially when the sun goes down, obviously the roads are going to freeze pretty quickly.”

The city was trying to inform residents of the emergency request by way of the news media and its Facebook page, said Beal.

“Trees are coming down unexpectedly,” Chief Mike McFadden of the Belfast Police Department said Monday, urging residents to stay home and off the roads. “Heed the weather forecast. The ice is extremely dangerous.”

There was no immediate relief in sight for the region until evening, according to the National Weather Service. Another wave of precipitation was bringing more freezing rain, noted Paul Fitzsimmons, a meteorologist with the service in Caribou.

“It’s not quite over yet,” said Fitzsimmons. However, the precipitation was expected to end Monday evening.

But the problems weren’t expected to end when the precipitation does.

Meteorologist Todd Foisy of the NWS’s Caribou office said Monday evening that temperatures are expected to range from below zero to the high 20s Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, which means that the ice that has built up on trees and power lines won’t be melting any time soon.

Adding to the problem will be wind gusts of up to 20 mph, Foisy said. The National Weather Service issued an advisory Tuesday morning warning that wind will likely knock down heavily-iced tree branches and power lines.

As fast as utility crews have been trying to restore power, Bangor Hydro was experiencing new, additional outages, spokeswoman Susan Faloon said Monday.

The utility summoned additional workers from Maine Public Service, the electric utility that serves Aroostook County. Bangor Hydro also staffed its customer service center with additional personnel to handle the burgeoning number of calls from people without power.

“We’re doing everything we can to get power on,” said Faloon. “Two days before Christmas, we know people want their power.”

Yet some customers could be without power for several days, said Bob Potts, also of Bangor Hydro. Repair workers found more extensive ice storm damage than they expected, he said, adding that shortly before 6 p.m., Bangor Hydro pushed the estimated time for the entire system to be restored back to noon on Friday.

Despite the adversity, people in the region appeared to be weathering the ice storm with equanimity. Emergency management officials for Hancock and Washington reported no pressing requests to set up emergency shelters or warming stations.

Fitzgerald said that no county agencies have reported fatalities from the storm.

Mike Hinerman, director of emergency management for Washington County, said that some municipal town managers had contacted him about a few individuals, such as elderly people or those with medical conditions. However, those communities have dealt with the challenges on their own, he said. “So far they all say it’s winter, and they’re handling it,” said Hinerman.

“We continue to assess the need” for emergency shelter, said Andrew Sankey, director of emergency management for Hancock.

“One of the barometers we use is the number of people requesting shelter information,” said Sankey. “I don’t want to say there haven’t been any,” but the number has been small, he said.

“People seem to have heeded the warnings to stay home, stay put and stay safe,” said Sankey, who noted that the willingness of area residents to hunker down during the storm helps avoid putting first responders and emergency services personnel at risk.

Chris Loughlin, town manager of Machias, which has been hit hard by accumulating ice, estimated that about 25-30 percent of the town’s households were without power. They seem to be taking it in stride, however, by taking temporary shelter with friends or family, noted Loughlin.

“This is just a normal winter,” he said Monday morning.

Sharon Kiley Mack, executive director of the Machias Bay Chamber of Commerce, wrote in a Facebook post Monday afternoon that tree branches were falling all around town and drivers were sliding around the icy streets.

“Stand outside for a minute and all you can hear are crashing trees, falling branches and sirens,” she wrote.

The region most affected by Monday’s precipitation was the area south of a line stretching from Bangor to Princeton, said Fitzsimmons — the same region that bore the brunt of the ice storm over the weekend. “Unfortunately a lot of the areas that were impacted yesterday are going to be impacted today,” he said. Areas closest to the coast will get some slight relief with warmer temperatures, he added.

Bangor City Hall closed at 3 p.m. Monday afternoon while Monday night’s scheduled City Council meeting was postponed to 6:30 p.m. Dec. 30. The Hampden Town Office also closed early because of the weather.

BDN writers Abigail Curtis and Ryan McLaughlin contributed to this report.