FALMOUTH, Maine — The state fire marshal’s office will be looking into the cause of a fire that destroyed a Falmouth home Saturday night.

The fire marshal’s office was called in because of the severity of the damage to the home at 12 Inverness Road.

No one was home at the time of the fire. Two of the three family dogs were able to escape the blaze, and the whereabouts of the third dog is not yet known, according to a news release issued by Fire Chief Howard Rice Jr.

The home is owned by Kevin and Lisa Valle, according to town assessment records. The 4,300-square-foot Cape Cod-style house is assessed for $600,000.

The fire was reported at 10:45 p.m. by a neighbor who saw flames inside the home. When the first crews arrived, the house was engulfed by fire.

Portland and Cumberland crews also responded to the blaze, and firefighters were able to save the attached garage.

The low temperatures made battling the fire difficult because the driveway was steep and became ice covered, the chief reported.

Inverness Road was closed for several hours during the firefighting effort.