PORTLAND, Maine — The Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith at the Vatican has dismissed John E. Harris from the priesthood permanently for a substantiated claim of sexual abuse of a minor in the early 1980s, Maine Bishop Robert P. Deeley announced on Friday.

Harris, who has not been in active ministry since 2003, can no longer function or present himself as a priest, and the Vatican’s decision is final, without an option for appeal, according to the Roman Catholic Diocese of Portland.

The complaint was received from an individual in March 2013, according to the diocese.

Disciplined in 2000 for his involvement in an adult-content website, Harris returned to ministry until August 2003, when he requested a leave of absence. A month later, Harris became the focus of a new investigation involving inappropriate behavior with a minor that had taken place approximately 20 years earlier and did not involve sexual contact, the diocese detailed in its statement.

Harris never returned to active ministry. The diocese notified civil authorities and released the results of its investigation to the media and to parishioners. The diocese publicly asked for anyone with information about the case to come forward. The later report to the diocese in 2013 marked the first time a complainant had accused Harris of sexual abuse.

Harris was born in Westbrook and was ordained in the Portland diocese in 1984. He served at Sacred Heart Parish in Portland, Sts. Athanasius & John Parish in Rumford, St. Anthony Parish in Jackman, Our Lady of Rosary Parish in Sabattus, including its mission church (St. Francis Mission in Greene), and Our Lady of the Lakes Parish in Oquossoc.

Bishop Deeley encourages anyone with information about any case of sexual abuse of a minor by a Catholic church representative to contact civil authorities as well as Michael Magalski, director of the Office of Professional Responsibility for the Diocese of Portland, at 321-7836 or at michael.magalski@portlanddiocese.org.