BANGOR, Maine — When Kyle Dube showed up at the Penobscot County Jail on May 17, 2013, to begin serving a sentence in connection with a high-speed motorcycle chase in 2012, he was crying, a corrections officer testified Thursday at the Penobscot Judicial Center.

Robert Soucy said at a hearing on a motion to suppress Dube’s statements to him and police that because the young man was so emotional, Soucy asked Dube how long he would be at the jail.

“He told me 30 days,” Soucy testified. “I told him that was nothing. He said, ‘It’s what I’ve done that they don’t know I’ve done that I’m worried about.’”

Dube, 21, of Orono pleaded not guilty to one count each of kidnapping and murder in the death of 15-year-old Nichole Cable on May 12, 2013.

Jury selection is set for Feb. 11 with testimony scheduled to begin Feb. 23. The trial is expected to last two weeks.

Dube was indicted May 29, 2013, by the Penobscot County grand jury. He is accused of luring Cable out of her mother’s home in Glenburn earlier that month by using someone else’s identity on Facebook, then killing her in an abduction gone wrong. Dube allegedly planned to kidnap the girl, hide her, then find her and play the hero.

The teenager died of ” asphyxia due to compression of the neck,” according to Dr. Margaret Greenwald of the state medical examiner’s office.

Cable’s body was found May 20, 2013, in a wooded area of Old Town after Dube’s girlfriend and brother told police where Dube said he left her, according to court documents.

The defense team last year filed a motion to suppress Dube’s statements to Soucy and to Maine State Police detectives on May 15 and 16, 2013. Attorneys Stephen Smith of Augusta and Wendy Hatch of Bangor argued in the motion that Dube’s statements were made involuntarily because he was not able to leave the interviews and not aware of his rights.

Detective Thomas Pickering testified Thursday that Dube was advised of his Miranda rights before both interviews and agreed to answer questions. The detective said Dube was not advised of his Miranda rights in the car.

Pickering said he and detective Jay Pelletier picked up Dube at his workplace on May 15 in Bangor and drove him to the Maine State Police office on the Dorothea Dix campus in Bangor. On May 16, detectives picked up Dube at his home in Orono and conducted the interview at the Orono police station, Pickering testified. They drove Dube because Dube told them he had lost his driver’s license.

Dube did not confess to killing Cable in either interview, Pickering said.

According to court documents, Dube confessed to his girlfriend and a relative, who spoke with detectives.

Soucy said he does not read Miranda rights when he books people into the jail to begin serving sentences and did not do so on May 17.

Attorneys also are seeking to move the trial to a different county because of pretrial publicity, including an appearance of the victim’s mother on the “Dr. Phil” TV show. A previous motion seeking to suppress the search of Dube’s cellphone was withdrawn Thursday morning.

In their motion to move the trial, Smith and Hatch argued that the five-day search for Cable that began May 15, 2013, “used social media, posters and was the subject of countless news articles and television.” The defense team also argued the appearance of Cable’s mother, Kristine Wiley, and stepfather, Jason Wiley, both of Glenburn on the nationally syndicated “Dr. Phil” show in September 2013 received a great deal of local publicity.

In an affidavit filed Thursday in support of the change-of-venue motion, Smith said the Bangor Daily News published 42 stories on the hunt for Cable after she was reported missing and on Dube’s arrest. Newspapers in central and southern Maine published half as many, the attorney said.

Assistant Attorney General Leane Zainea and Donald Macomber have opposed the motions to suppress and to move the trial.

Superior Court Justice Ann Murray, who took over the case from Superior Court Justice William Anderson last month, took the motions under advisement following arguments Thursday. Murray said she would begin jury selection before ruling on the motion for a change of venue.

Attorneys for both sides declined to speak to reporters after the hearing, as did the victim’s family.

If found guilty of murder, Dube would face between 25 years and life in prison on the murder charge alone. He faces up to 30 years in prison if convicted of the kidnapping charge.

If you or someone you know is experiencing domestic violence and would like to talk with an advocate, call 866-834-4357, TRS 800-787-3224. This free, confidential service is available 24/7 and is accessible from anywhere in Maine.

Watch bangordailynews.com for updates.