WAITE, Maine — An exploding vacuum cleaner ignited a fire that destroyed a log cabin on Old Mill Road on Sunday despite the efforts of firefighters from six towns. No injuries were reported, but the house is a total loss, officials said.

Indian Township firefighters called in mutual aid from the Alexander, Baileyville, Calais, Danforth and Princeton fire departments when the call came in from a man at the cabin at about 10:40 a.m., Indian Township dispatcher Carl Nicholas said.

The first firefighters to arrive, from Indian Township about eight miles away, quickly doused the flames in the garage where the vacuum was located. But the fire had already spread through a breezeway into the 2 ½-story cabin’s first and second floors and then the roof, said Indian Township Fire Chief David Nicholas, whose cousin is Carl Nicholas.

Heavy smoke and fire damage occurred on the first and second floors of the cabin, and about three-quarters of the roof is gone. A lack of available water forced firefighters to shuttle it from the Indian Township station, but that didn’t really impede their efforts, David Nicholas said.

“There were four or five trucks bringing water back and forth so we didn’t have any problems,” David Nicholas said.

No one interviewed knew why the vacuum exploded. Maine State Fire Marshal’s Office investigators will visit the site on Monday. David Nicholas said he saw nothing suspicious in the fire’s origins.

Firefighters left the scene at about 4:30 p.m. They stayed that long to try to ensure that the fire wouldn’t reignite, David Nicholas said.

Waite is a Washington County town with a population of 101, according to the most recent census. It is about 20 miles south of Spednik Lake at the U.S.-Canadian border and 30 miles northwest of St. Stephen, New Brunswick.