BANGOR, Maine — A Bucksport man charged in a fatal hit-and-run crash last year in Orrington was back before a judge Wednesday charged with violating his bail conditions by using illegal drugs.

Marc Sparks, 29, last month pleaded not guilty to one count each of manslaughter, aggravated criminal operating under the influence of intoxicants, causing a death while driving with a suspended license and leaving the scene of a personal injury accident.

Sparks pleaded not guilty Wednesday afternoon at the Penobscot Judicial Center on one count of violating a condition of release.

He was arrested Feb. 25 after being indicted by the Penobscot County grand jury. Sparks was released Feb. 28 on $25,000 cash bail, according to jail personnel.

Superior Court Justice Ann Murray ordered that Sparks be held without bail pending a hearing April 9 on a motion to revoke his bail. If the motion is denied, Sparks would have to post $500 cash bail to be released.

Through the lawyer of the day, Arrian Stockdell of Bangor, Sparks denied that he had used drugs since his release on bail. He said through Stockdell that drugs he had used before his arrest might still have been in his system when he failed a urine test.

Sparks, who allegedly was under the influence of methadone, was driving south Sept. 13 on Route 15 in Orrington when his Dodge sedan failed to slow down and struck an SUV driven by Robin Rie, 59, of Brewer, according to a previously published report.

Rie had slowed to make a left turn into a vegetable stand in the area of 420 River Road. The impact forced Rie’s vehicle off the road and into a residence before it came to rest, according to the Penobscot County Sheriff’s Office.

Sparks allegedly stopped his vehicle for a moment before he left the scene. Sparks, who was not injured in the accident, and his vehicle later were found in Bucksport.

Rie, who suffered a serious spinal cord injury in the crash, was revived at the scene by bystanders but died on Sept. 19, about a week later, Assistant District Attorney Marianne Lynch said last month. Rie was on a respirator at the time of her death.

If convicted of the manslaughter charge alone, Sparks faces up to 30 years in prison.