AUGUSTA, Maine — Gov. Paul LePage announced Thursday that his Judicial Selection Committee is accepting applications for seven vacancies on the Maine District Court until Oct. 16.
“I take great pride in the process to select outstanding members of the Maine Bar who are expected to fill these important roles within our justice system,” he said in a news release. “I have great respect for the judicial branch of government and look forward to selecting candidates of the highest ethical, legal and intellectual caliber to fill these positions on the bench.”
Two of the vacancies were created when judges left the bench to pursue other interests. Three District Court judges were elevated earlier this year by the governor to the Superior Court bench, and two of the judgeships are new positions that were approved by the Legislature.
“I believe the governor understands the pressures on the court that these vacancies create,” Mary Ann Lynch, spokeswoman for the court system, said earlier this week. “The governor’s office has told us that nominations will be made so that the Senate can return before Thanksgiving to vote.”
All inquiries and applications materials are to be directed to John McGough, LePage’s chief of staff, the release said.
Interested individuals who have submitted an application after July 1 need not reapply to be considered for these vacancies. Lawyers who have submitted applications before July 1 and who wish to be considered for the current openings should send a letter of interest or email indicating their continued interest in a judgeship.