BANGOR, Maine — Treat people the way you want to be treated.

That was the maxim that former city police chief Don Winslow lived by before he died of cancer last summer, his wife, Dora Winslow, said Wednesday during a ceremony marking the dedication of the Bangor Police Department’s headquarters in his memory.

“It is indeed an honor, and Don would be extremely humbled,” she said, her voice breaking with emotion. “Don’s family, friends and all that knew him know he was true to his mantra: Treat people the way that you want to be treated. Speaking from 36 years of marriage experience to Don, he lived his mantra.”

The saying appears at the bottom of the blue-and-gold plaque affixed to the wall outside the station’s main entrance.

During the ceremony, the late police chief’s wife, his mother, Wanda Winslow, and daughter Meredith Brookings unveiled the dedication to Don Winslow, who was the first chief to lead a police force in the Summer Street building. Winslow’s brother Richard Winslow also was on hand for the event, which drew nearly 70 people — including former colleagues and other members of law enforcement — to the station.

“He was kind, compassionate, genuine and sincere,” Dora Winslow said. “Thank you for keeping the memory of my husband, my children’s father, your son, your brother and our dear friend alive.”

Among the city police officers present for the ceremony was Lt. Bob Bishop.

“He was the type of chief that came early and stayed late. No matter what was asked of him, he always did it,” Bishop said of his former boss. “He was fun to work with.”

Chief Mark Hathaway said during the ceremony that the City Council voted unanimously to dedicate the police station in Don Winslow’s honor in January.

“The police station was built under the chief’s watch,” he said. “He was the first chief to manage his department in this building. It is fitting that the city honor the chief with the naming of this building in his name.”

City Councilor Joe Baldacci served as mayor during Winslow’s tenure.

“Don was a very special guy. This is a very fitting tribute. It’s long overdue, but it’s very important,” Baldacci said.

Winslow was the department’s 27th chief, but the first to work in the department’s $8 million Summer Street station, which opened in 2006.

In 2002, Winslow was diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease, a degenerative disease of the brain that affects movement, muscle control and balance, prompting him to speed up his retirement plans. He left the force in 2007, ending a nearly 28-year law enforcement career.

Three years after his retirement, Winslow was diagnosed with cancer in his head and neck. At the same time, his wife was battling ovarian cancer. Early in 2012, cancer treatments showed results, and they both celebrated their “no evidence of disease” status.

The cancer returned in early 2014, this time in his lungs, news that forced Winslow to withdraw from the Penobscot County sheriff’s race that he had entered just a few weeks before receiving his diagnosis.

Several months later, Winslow decided to halt chemotherapy treatments. He died in July 2014 at the age of 57.