BANGOR, Maine — There is not enough evidence to charge anyone in connection with the arson case stemming from a January 2014 fire on Dillingham Street in which two dogs died, according to Michael Roberts, deputy district attorney for Penobscot County.

“I’ve reviewed the fire marshal’s case that determined it was arson, and there isn’t enough evidence here to charge someone,” Roberts said this week.

The Jan. 17, 2014, blaze that severely damaged the house at 40 Dillingham St. was intentionally set, Sgt. Ken Grimes of the state fire marshal’s office said earlier this month of the investigation that started 22 months ago.

One renter who said she was upstairs when fire alarms in the two-story home rang out told the Bangor Daily News at the time that there were two fires in the house. The woman’s daughter said she was outside smoking a cigarette when the alarms sounded, and a third housemate had left shortly before the blaze broke out, Roberts said.

“We have three people who could have set the fire,” said Roberts, who was nominated earlier this month to be a Maine district court judge.

A Bangor police officer knocked on the front door at about 11 a.m. on the day of the fire trying to serve the trio of women an eviction notice, but no one answered the door, the third housemate told the Bangor Daily News shortly after the fire.

The fire broke at about 12:55 p.m. — about two hours after the police officer left. The third housemate’s two dogs, a chihuahua named Rollie and a border collie named Lucy, perished in the blaze.

The Bangor Daily News is not naming the three women because none of them have been charged with a crime.

The fire investigation took so long because detectives spoke to a lot of people who gave a lot of statements, some that were conflicting, Roberts said.

“I have to give them credit,” the prosecutor said of the fire marshal’s office. “They spent a lot of time” trying to verify statements given.

The case is considered closed, barring new developments.

It took fire crews about 25 minutes to put out the blaze, which left extensive fire, water and smoke damage mostly in the upstairs of the two-story rental home. Bangor fire officials called in the fire marshal after determining the fire was suspicious.

The house has since been repaired and is occupied.