BANGOR, Maine — A puppy rescued from a burning Sidney Street apartment unit on Thursday is doing OK, according to Bangor Fire Chief Tom Higgins.

Higgins said Friday the puppy remains at a local veterinary clinic and is doing well.

Higgins also said the apartment that caught fire Thursday is uninhabitable.

The puppy’s mother succumbed to the fire, in addition to two or three other puppies. The surviving dog was given oxygen by firefighters.

The Thursday afternoon fire was reported by a passer-by and knocked down quickly. Nobody was home at the time of the fire.

Avatar photo

Ryan McLaughlin

BDN sports freelancer Ryan McLaughlin grew up in Brewer and is a lifelong fan of the New England Patriots, Boston Red Sox, Boston Celtics and Boston Bruins.