BANGOR, Maine — Emergency responders recovered a man’s body from the Penobscot River on Friday evening, according to Lt. Kevin Adam of the Maine Warden Service.

“Today at 6:15 p.m. Bangor [Police] received a call about a body floating in the Penobscot River, down by the Sea Dog,” Adam said, referring to a restaurant on the Bangor waterfront. “Bangor PD and Fire responded. They retrieved a male from the river. He’s being transported right now to the medical examiner’s office for positive identification and an autopsy.”

Bangor Assistant Fire Chief Anthony Riitano said the man’s body was recovered near the Veterans Remembrance Bridge, which carries Interstate 395 over the river. The body was taken ashore in Hampden.

“We were here with Orono PD, obviously, because we have a missing man we suspect is in the river,” Adam said, referring to Maine Maritime Academy student David Breunig, 21, of Westbrook, who disappeared in Orono on Friday, Feb. 26.

Breunig left a party on Crosby Street in Orono at around 11:30 p.m., and his phone last pinged a local cellphone tower at 12:05 a.m. Feb. 27, officials have said. He was last seen walking toward the train tracks near a railroad bridge that crosses the Stillwater River.

Divers searched the Penobscot River near where it connects with the Stillwater based on the possibility Breunig fell from the railroad bridge shortly after he disappeared. Ground and aerial searches have focused on stretches of the river as far away as Stockton Springs, more than 35 miles from Orono.

A friend of Breunig’s, Jack K. Gilligan of Westbrook, later posted a message on Facebook warning people not to walk across the bridge, indicating he suspected Breunig had fallen.

Adam said he spoke to Breunig’s family Friday night “to let them know what what going on.”

While indications are that the body is Breunig, Adam said it was the job of the medical examiner’s office to confirm the identity.

“Hopefully this weekend we’ll get a positive ID,” the game warden said.

Mark Belserene, spokesman for the state Office of the Chief Medical Examiner, said Sunday that identification of the body was still pending.