WINDHAM, Maine — A fire destroyed a home in Windham overnight. It happened just after 11:30 p.m. Tuesday on Windham Center Road.

Firefighters said they got a call about the fire and a possible explosions. When they arrived a few minutes later, they found the home engulfed in flames.

Firefighters said the family’s dog woke up the father and his two children. They all got out safely, but the father was taken to the hospital for smoke inhalation.

Windham Fire Chief Brent Libby said a 20 pound propane tank did explode during the fire, and it landed across the yard.

Libby said they had to take extra precautions because of the intensity of the fire.

“All of our operations have been defensive, so we haven’t let any firefighters go into the building at all, just because it’s not safe,” he said. “That leaves us outside, which takes a little longer.”

Investigators with the state fire marshal’s office were expected to be on scene Wednesday to try to figure out a cause.