A Milbridge man suspected of shooting two men at a home in Trenton on Sunday night has been charged with attempted murder, elevated aggravated assault and robbery, according to the Hancock County District Attorney’s office.

Police located Larry Smith, 50, in Holden following a single-car crash at the intersection of Mann Hill and Bagaduce roads at about 9:45 p.m. Sunday, the Hancock County sheriff’s office said. He was arrested early Monday morning after he was treated at and released from Northern Light Eastern Maine Medical Center in Bangor.

Smith and his wife, Sherry Smith, 56, of Milbridge allegedly entered a home on Birch Heights Drive at about 8:25 p.m. Sunday. He pointed a gun at an older man, who is bedridden, and demanded to know where the safes were, the police affidavit said.

When he said there were no safes in the home, Larry Smith allegedly shot him in the knees. After that, Larry Smith shot a younger man who was staying in the home in the back, the affidavit said.

The younger shooting victim and another man in the house at one point tried to tackle Larry Smith, but Sherry Smith allegedly stabbed the third man with a knife. The Smith couple fled the house with two safes from the bedroom closet of the older man’s daughter.

She told police the safes contained between $5,000 and $10,000 and was able to show them footage from security cameras in her room that allegedly captured the robbery. The affidavit did not say why she kept so much cash in the home. At least one safe was recovered from the Smiths’ wrecked vehicle, according to the affidavit.

Sherry Smith remained hospitalized Monday at Northern Light Eastern Maine Medical Center, according to the sheriff’s office. She is expected to be charged in connection with the shooting and stabbing.

Larry Smith is being held at the Hancock County Jail in Ellsworth. He made his first court appearance before District Court Judge Patricia Worth on Monday afternoon.

Worth set bail at $250,000 cash at the request of Hancock County District Attorney Matthew Foster. Conditions include that he have no contact with victims and potential witnesses, including his wife, and not possess dangerous weapons. Smith told the judge that he had no money to post bail.

Larry Smith was charged with attempted murder for the alleged shooting of the younger victim and with elevated aggravated assault for the alleged shooting of the older victim.

Larry Smith was not asked to enter pleas to the charges, all Class A felonies, because he has not yet been indicted by the Hancock County grand jury. His next court appearance is set for Feb. 18.

The victims were able to identify their alleged attackers, which led investigators to the crash, according to the sheriff’s office.

The shooting remains under investigation and more arrests are likely.

Larry Smith has a long criminal history, according to Foster. He was sentenced in March 2000 to 15 years in prison with all but 12 years suspended to be followed by six years of probation for his role in a burglary and arson that destroyed a Holden pizzeria in August 1999.

If convicted of any of the crimes he’s been charged with, Larry Smith faces up to 30 years in prison and a fine of up to $50,000.