A home on Broadway in Bangor is a total loss after a fire broke out there on Sunday morning. Credit: Valerie Royzman / BDN

A fire that destroyed a home on Broadway Sunday morning was caused by an electrical issue stemming from a ceramic heater, WABI reported.

The home at 311 Broadway was a total loss after flames engulfed the front of the home and later traveled up the stairway to the second floor.

“I got up, and I was looking around, and the room was filled with smoke, the living room. And, I didn’t know where it was coming from. So, I woke up my wife, and yelled, I think there’s a fire,” homeowner Tyler L’Italien told WABI

L’Italien, his wife Elissa, and their 4-year-old daughter Ariana were able to escape the home through the front door.

“I was walking out the door with my daughter, and my pants were on fire, and I yelled to a person to call 911 while ripping off my pants,”  L’Italien told the station.

The family was taken to nearby St. Joseph Hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation and the two adults continue to be treated for burns on their hands and feet, the station reported.

The family is staying with a nearby family and being assisted by the American Red Cross.