A massive fire destroyed the Beach Cove Waterfront Inn in Boothbay Harbor Monday night.
The fire was reported at around 8:25 p.m. on Monday night, according to Shannon Moss, a spokesperson for the Maine Department of Public Safety. Firefighters at the scene fought the fire for several hours, but the structure was completely destroyed, Moss said.
Boothbay Harbor Fire Chief Nick Upham said some of the siding on neighboring homes melted from the intense heat.
“As hot as it was, the heat was coming back and starting to ignite the other buildings. We had fire spreading into the woods probably an eighth of the mile down the woods that way, buildings along here that are actually melted,” Upham said.
The initial fire appeared to have broken out at the structure which held the water heaters for the inn, Moss said.
At last check, crews were still monitoring for hot spots.
Extensive damage prevented officials from determining the cause of the fire, according to Moss.
BDN writer Leela Stockley contributed to this report.