FORT KENT, Maine — The Bald Eagle, a gas station and convenience store in Eagle Lake, was damaged heavily in a fire Wednesday.
Volunteer firefighters from multiple departments worked throughout the afternoon to stop the blaze as town residents looked on in shock.
Among them was Cindy Griffeth, who referred to the business as “the center of the community.”
Griffeth said this has been the case since before she moved to the town in 2002.
“It brings a lot of people to the community, from the snowmobilers to the summer campers. Everyone from here to past Bangor knows the name,” Griffeth said. “It’s one of the only stores that hasn’t changed over the years.”
As of 5 p.m. firefighters had cleared the scene on Main Street in the town. A large hole could be seen in the roof of the structure.
Tom Roy owns the business, which once belonged to former legislator John Martin and a business partner.
No further information was immediately available.