Bangor Rams head coach Jay Kemble speaks to his team in between the first and second quarter of the Class A North quarterfinal game against Lewiston High at the Augusta Civic Center. Credit: Josh O'Donnell / BDN

The Bangor boys basketball season ended Wednesday night, but that won’t define the Rams’ season.

That’s because the Bangor boys had already cemented one of the best turnarounds of the year before they fell to a talented Camden Hills team and one of the state’s best players in senior guard Nolan Ames.

Bangor had won just one game each of the past two seasons, but turned around and won 11 this year and scratched their way to the Class A North semifinals.

First-year head coach Jay Kemble spoke with Mike Dowd for the Bangor Daily News after Wednesday’s season ending loss, and Kemble shared what his message was to players after the season came to an end.

“I told them that we can’t hang our heads on this game, based on the year we had,” Kemble said. “I thought we did a good job of competing for 32 minutes, and really setting the foundation for Bangor basketball for the future to come with those kids that were in this game tonight.”

Bangor’s top scorer and rebounder this season was sophomore Nate Grunkemeyer, and with a large group of players slated to return next season, the Rams’ future looks bright.

“We got seven returners and did some really good things. And I told them that they can’t hang their heads,” Kemble said. “This is a part of the process in getting this program back on its feet.”

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *