BANGOR, Maine — Rangeley Hall at Eastern Maine Community College likely won’t be open for business today after a large hot water tank in the building’s utility room caught fire Wednesday night, prompting the evacuation of about 20 people who were inside at the time.

The fire, which began at 8:32 p.m., resulted in several thou-sand dollars worth of damage, according to Assistant Fire Chief Vance Tripp of the Bangor Fire Department. No one, however, was injured, he said.

According to Tripp, firefighters were alerted to the problem via a detector that was hard-wired to the city’s fire alarm system. Three fire engines, a ladder truck and two rescue vehicles were on the scene within minutes.

Tripp said the fire was contained to a utility room that housed the tank and that the fire was extinguished by the building’s sprinkler system.

As a result, there was water damage in parts of the building, including administrative of-fices.