CASTINE, Maine — University of Maine-Presque Isle junior goalkeeper Billie Martin said her team entered Wednesday night’s game against Maine Maritime Academy with one goal in mind. And the Owls accomplished that.

“We didn’t want to give up a goal and we accomplished our goal,” said Martin, who made four saves on 16 shots in the double-overtime, scoreless draw. “We’re very pleased to come down here and get a tie.”

In the second game of the evening doubleheader, the MMA men edged the Owls 2-1 in overtime.

Neither Martin nor MMA goalie Lacey Jackson was forced to make a difficult save in the defensive struggle.

The stars of the game were UMPI junior sweeper Katie Moody and MMA sweeper Megan Russell, a sophomore. Both played with exemplary composure and consistently made timely clearances while making sure their back lines were organized.

“When the defense needed to step up, we did, and the midfielders came back to help out,” said Moody.

Moody preserved the deadlock in the second overtime when Katie Hutchinson slipped a nice pass to the oncoming Diana Manatt-Rogers, who had a seam to the net down the left side of the penalty area. But as she was about to shoot, Moody came rushing over to get her foot on the shot and deflect it harmlessly away.

“I was prepared to make a tough save, but I’m glad Katie came over,” said Martin.

UMPI coach Tammy Krull said her team was forced to play conservatively due to illnesses to two starters which kept them out of the lineup. That limited UMPI’s scoring ability.

Brewer’s Carolynn Tuck did a good job marking Manatt-Rogers, who had scored the only goal in an MMA win at 3-1-2 UMPI earlier this season.

Russell called it a frustrating tie because her 3-5-1 Mariners had numerous chances.

Russell said both teams played very well defensively.

Jackson made two saves on five shots for the Mariners.

In the men’s game, freshman striker Nate Tipton tied the game with a free kick with 55.5 seconds remaining in regulation and then won it with a penalty kick with 5:59 left in the first overtime as Maine Maritime improved to 3-4 overall.

Tipton’s penalty kick was the result of a handball call off a Dylan Burr throw-in. The kick went low to the right of UMPI goalie Richard Felbaum, who dove to his right and got his hands on the shot, but he couldn’t keep it out of the net.

Tipton’s penalty kick came from just beyond the penalty area as he curled it into the top corner to Felbaum’s left.

Tony Hibbard had given 3-2-1 UMPI a 1-0 lead in the first half as Corey Harding laid it across to him, and he struck a perfectly placed 28-yarder into the corner beyond the right hand of MMA goalie Jeff Butland.