BANGOR – Lewis J. Birt passed away Oct. 16, 2007, after an extended illness at a local health care fac-ility. Lewis was born Oct. 10, 1919, in Boston, the son of Walter Howard and Mary Jane (Macnevin) Birt. An honor graduate of Schenck High School in 1937, Lewis pursued further education, graduating from Aroostook State Normal School in 1940 and was a 1947 graduate of the University of Maine in Orono. After graduation from Aroostook State Normal School, Lewis enlisted in the U.S. Army during World War II. He was stationed in London during the Blitz as a cryptanalyst. Upon discharge, he attended the University of Maine. Again, the country called and he re-enlisted for the Korean War. Upon his discharge and until his retirement, he continued his previous military assignment as a civilian. Lewis lived in the Fort Monmouth, N.J., area until his health deteriorated, then returned to Maine in January 2002. Lewis was raised in the Sublime Degree of a master Mason, May 8, 1947, in the Nollessemic Lodge No. 205, Millinocket. On Oct. 8, 1957, he was exalted to August Degree of a Royal Arch Mason in the Hiram Chapter No. 1, Red Bank, N.J., where he began his very active and personally fulfilling Masonic career. On Sept. 27, 1958, he was granted a royal and select master in Field Council No. 12, Trenton, N.J. It was in 1959, when he was knighted in Corson Commandry No. 15. He was installed in the Hiram Chapter No. 1 as high priest, an office he was to hold several times in 1963. Receiving all three degrees at the 7th Annual Crytic Rite Festival, Lewis went on to serve Field Council in many positions, including illustrious master in 1964. He served Corson Commandry in many offices, including eminent commander in 1964. He was honored to join the Grand Council as district deputy grand master from 1967 to 1973. His service with the Grand Council continued as representative to Colorado and as a member of the Credentials Committee for many years. It was in 1970 that Lewis was selected to become the 140th member of “the Philalethes,” a recognition of research. He served the Grand Chapter of New Jersey as district deputy High priest from 1969 to 1974, and then as their grand historian for many years thereafter. The Servical Grand Chapter of the United States recognized his dedication by presenting him the Genical Grand Chapter Bronze Medal award in 1972. It was in 1979 when Lewis was awarded the Genical Grand Council Crytic Mason of the Year Medal and the Harry Ames Putnam Award. As a member of the Grand Commandry, he sat as their grand historian for several years. Later in life, he contented himself writing historical papers and doing Masonic research for many grand officers of all the bodies. He was best known by his brothers as the “doer,” doing the work for others and never seeking acknowledgements, which were his due. Credit and acknowledgements he passed to others. For him, the research was doing the job and doing it right – right according to the rules, regulations and customs of the fraternity he loved so much. It was in 2002 that he received his recognition of 55 years of membership in his home lodge, Nollesemic Lodge No. 205, Millinocket. He refused to transfer that membership to New Jersey. He now joins his mother, father and brothers, Walter, William, Harold, Robert and George; nephews, Walter, How-ard and Douglas Birt. Survivors include, brother, Daniel and wife, Pauline, of East Millinocket; sister, Catherine Leavitt of Eddington; two sisters-in-law, Dorothy and Virgie Birt, also of East Millinocket; nephews, Jonathan and wife, Paula, Clifford, Harold and wife, Brenda, of East Millinocket, Arthur and wife, Carla Birt, of Cumberland, Mark Lea-vitt of Eddington; nieces, Randi Birt of East Millinocket, Valarie and husband, Gerald, of Millinocket, Dianne and husband, Dana, of Charlotte, Kane Curtis of Waterville and Dorothy Jane Sawyer and husband, Steven, of Smithfield, S.C. Graveside services will be held 1 p.m. Oct. 27 at East Millinocket Cemetery with lay Minister Billie Farrington officiating. A service of Brookings-Smith, 133 Center St., Bangor.