ELLSWORTH, Maine — Firefighters were called to Ellsworth High School on Wednesday morning to douse an engine fire that damaged a small front-end loader owned by the school system.

No one was injured in the fire, which occurred in a lot behind the school.

Mike Hangge, fire inspector with the Ellsworth Fire Department, said the fire appears to have started when the operator went to reconnect the batteries. A resulting spark arced across to the engine compartment, igniting a small blaze.

Hangge, who was at the high school conducting an inspection at the time, said the equipment was owned by RSU 24.