FAIRFIELD, Maine — Just a few weeks before police say 3-month-old Brooklyn Foss-Greenaway of Clinton was drugged and then smothered by a 10-year-old girl — charged last week with manslaughter — another baby overdosed in the same home on the girl’s medication.

Ashley Tenney, mother of the 8-month-old baby who survived, said on Sunday that doctors told her they found amphetamines in her daughter’s system that matched medication prescribed to the 10-year-old for attention deficit disorder.

Toxicology reports revealed that the same medicine also was found in Brooklyn’s system, her mother, Nicole Greenaway, has said.

Tenney’s daughter Jaylynn overdosed on June 19 while in the care of her father and the 10-year-old girl and was hospitalized for two days. At that time, everyone believed it was just an accident — that the baby had found the pill and eaten it.

That all changed last week when detectives investigating Brooklyn’s death also began to look at what happened to Jaylynn and reportedly uncovered disturbing facts that have led Tenney to believe that her daughter was drugged.

Baby Brooklyn had bruises on her face from when she was suffocated, allegedly by the young daughter of Nicole Greenaway’s co-worker.

“It looked like someone had beat her up,” Greenaway has said.

The Bangor Daily News is not releasing the name of the baby sitter or her 10-year-old daughter.

Tenney said, “After Brooklyn died, they investigated and found out what happened to my daughter.”

She was told that if her baby had indeed found one of the girl’s amphetamine pills and ingested it, the infant probably would not have survived.

“They told me by all means our daughter should be dead,” she said.

Her baby’s doctors later determined the drug Jaylynn had in her system somehow was diluted, she said.

The 20-year-old mother, her boyfriend, Chad Hopkins, and their daughter lived in a Center Road home in Fairfield with the 10-year-old girl, her 9-year-old sister and her mother. Tenney, who said her family since has moved, said she wishes more than anything that she knew her daughter’s overdose was suspicious so she could have issued a warning to Greenaway or kept a better eye on the girl.

“I honestly did not know what happened,” she said. “I would have told Nicole if I had thought there was any danger from [the 10-year-old].”

After her daughter’s poisoning, all the prescription drugs in the house were locked up — per a request from a Department of Health and Human Services investigator.

The night of Brooklyn’s death, Tenney said she was on her laptop in the living room but knew the 10-year-old was upstairs in the bedroom with the baby.

At about 1:30 a.m. July 8 she was awoken by “a lot of crying and a lot of running up and down the stairs. I heard the word ‘dead,’” she said. “I heard [the girl’s mother] crying hysterically and grabbed my glasses and ran upstairs just as Brooklyn was being laid on the table.”

She said she could tell the baby was dead, even as the 10-year-old’s mother attempted to revive her using CPR.

Last month, the mother of the 10-year-old was reprimanded by a Department of Health and Human Services caseworker, who wrote in a report dated Aug. 10 that she was responsible for her daughter’s actions.

The mother knew her daughter had “significant behavioral problems,” was not correctly taking her prescribed medications and “should not be babysitting children,” caseworker Christopher Filteau said in the four-page letter. The letter also said the mother did not remove a “screaming” Brooklyn from her daughter’s care.

“You neglected to provide the proper level of supervision by allowing Brooklyn to be and to remain in [your daughter’s] care,” the letter states. “Brooklyn Foss-Greenaway has died as a result of your neglect.”

Greenaway, 36, who works with the 10-year-old’s mother in Waterville, is angry.

“She doesn’t feel she is responsible for any of this happening,” Greenaway said while sitting in her living room, which still has her dead daughter’s playthings in sight. “It’s my belief that she didn’t do everything she could.”

The still-grieving mother, who said she must stay strong for her three other children, wants the 10-year-old’s mother to be charged.

“Her daughter did the physical act, however, I feel that [the mother] also needs to be equally charged,” Greenaway said. “I feel she is the most responsible person, as far as the care of my daughter.”

Her mother, Dell Foss, agrees.

“There is an accident and then there is negligence,” she said.

The girl’s mother, 30, has not been charged with a criminal offense. She could not be reached for comment on Sunday.

“I’m angry because she keeps telling people she did everything she could to prevent this from happening,” Greenaway said. “How can you say that when basically you are the one who gave my daughter to [the girl charged with her death].”

BDN writer Alex Barber contributed to this report.