DEDHAM, Maine — A Thursday evening fire that gutted a Dedham home was caused by a halogen construction light that had been left on while the home was unattended.

Dedham Fire Chief Craig Shane said the light was located in the second-floor bathroom at the Chestnut Road home, which was undergoing renovations by the homeowner. Shane said he was informed of the fire’s cause by the State Fire Marshal on Friday morning.

“The fire was caused by a worklight that was left on and caught a bunch of combustible material in its nearby area on fire,” he said. “It was linen in a closet, towels, things like that.”

The fire was reported around 4 p.m. when one of the home’s residents arrived to find smoke pouring out the windows. Fire crews from Ellsworth, Holden, Eddington and Orrington responded, and firefighters had to work in rotating shifts because of the blistering heat inside the building.

The fire was clear by 7:30 p.m. Thursday night.

Follow Mario Moretto on Twitter at @riocarmine.

Mario Moretto

Mario Moretto has been a Maine journalist, in print and online publications, since 2009. He joined the Bangor Daily News in 2012, first as a general assignment reporter in his native Hancock County and,...