HOLLIS, Maine — A pellet stove was the cause of a fast-moving fire that leveled a farmhouse in Hollis on Wednesday, officials said.

Hollis Fire Chief Jason Johnson said crews from 10 communities were dispatched to 310 Cape Road shortly after 4 p.m.

Johnson said that when firefighters arrived, there wasn’t much smoke coming out of the home, but that changed quickly.

“We went to make access to the house, and at that point, heavy smoke and flames shot out through the doors,” he said. “It took off like a candle.”

Johnson said there wasn’t much firefighters could do to save the home, which was located in the middle of a field.

“With the wind the way it was and the lack of manpower, we were hindered right from the get-go,” the chief said.

The couple who live in the home managed to get out safely, Johnson said, and firefighters were able to save a nearby barn. No farm animals were injured, but two firefighters suffered minor injuries, the chief said.

The home was insured.

Firefighters were at the scene for about seven hours, according to Johnson.

The state fire marshal’s office is investigating the blaze.

Ryan McLaughlin

BDN sports reporter Ryan McLaughlin grew up in Brewer and is a lifelong fan of the New England Patriots, Boston Red Sox, Boston Celtics and Boston Bruins. In "The Boston Blitz" he'll be sharing his perspective...