DANFORTH, Maine — The parents of an infant who died Friday and whose mobile home later went up in flames have been charged with manufacturing methamphetamine, police said Saturday.

The Maine Drug Enforcement Agency released a statement Saturday evening indicating that Allen Richardson, 39, and Tabbatha Osnoe, 30, both of Danforth, each has been charged with trafficking of methamphetamine. Richardson and Osnoe are the parents of Mach-Danyel Richardson, who was pronounced dead at a Danforth medical facility after his parents brought the baby there Friday morning.

At around 8:30 a.m. Friday, about an hour after the parents called 911 about the child, a neighbor reported that the family’s mobile home was on fire. The blaze heavily damaged the home, fire investigators said. Police said Friday that they did not believe the fire and the baby’s death were connected.

Stephen McCausland, spokesman for Maine Department of Public Safety, said Sunday that the baby’s cause of death and the cause of the fire have not yet been determined.

According to the MDEA statement, an investigator with the state fire marshal’s office on Saturday found several items that typically are used in conjunction with a “one pot” methamphetamine laboratory while examining the fire scene at 34 Weatherbee St.

With information provided by the fire marshal investigator, along with other independent information, MDEA agents obtained a search warrant for the residence, MDEA Cmdr. Peter Arno indicated in the statement. The search warrant was executed at approximately 10 a.m. Saturday by MDEA agents, who seized a significant amount of evidence consistent with the illicit manufacturing of methamphetamine, Arno said.

Trafficking in methamphetamine is a Class B crime in Maine, punishable by up to 10 years in prison and a maximum fine of $20,000.

On Saturday, Richardson and Osnoe were taken to the Washington County Jail. Both were on probation, and a probation hold was placed on them in addition to the above charges.

An autopsy on the infant had been scheduled for Saturday at the state medical examiner’s office in Augusta. State police have said they intend to investigate the child’s death further, which is standard protocol for deaths of children under age 3.

The couple lived in the mobile home with the infant and a 4-year-old. Family members have cooperated with investigators, police have said.

In addition to the state fire marshal’s office, MDEA was assisted at the scene by the Maine State Police, the Maine Department of Environmental Protection, a chemist from Maine Health and Environmental Testing Laboratory, and the Danforth Fire Department.

Avatar photo

Bill Trotter

A news reporter in coastal Maine for more than 20 years, Bill Trotter writes about how the Atlantic Ocean and the state's iconic coastline help to shape the lives of coastal Maine residents and visitors....