ROCKLAND, Maine — A 39-year-old Portland man serving seven years in prison for dealing cocaine in Rockland will not get a new trial.

Justice Jeffrey Hjelm rejected the new trial request Monday on behalf of Kaihlil T. P. Nigro, despite the defense’s arguments that Nigro was denied information before the trial that one of the drug enforcement officers was using a considerable amount of prescription sleep aids in the days before the bust at which Nigro was arrested.

That officer — Lt. Kirk Guerrette, the patrol administrator for the Knox County Sheriff’s Office — said Wednesday this was yet more evidence that he never did anything wrong.

Guerrette’s name was raised in possible appeals by 44 drug defendants in March 2011 when it was learned that his receipt of a high number of sleep aid prescriptions had been included in a statewide investigation by a state health care task force.

The state announced in September 2012 that its investigation into possible Medicaid fraud involving health care providers ended without anyone being charged.

Nigro’s was one of the 44 cases in which Guerrette had been involved when the Knox officer was assigned to the Maine Drug Enforcement Agency. Nigro was arrested in September 2009 following a month-long investigation into his trips to Rockland from Portland to sell cocaine. Officers made two purchases through a confidential informant.

The house where Nigro was storing his drugs in a safe was located between Rockland District High School and the MacDougal School. The proximity of the illegal drug activity to the schools made the crime a more serious offense.

When officers opened a safe Nigro had purchased and put in the house, they found 17 1-gram bags of cocaine and 12 eight-ball bags, which hold about 3.8 to 4 grams of cocaine each, according to police reports.

Following Nigro’s conviction at trial, Hjelm sentenced him to 10 years behind bars with all but seven years suspended, and four years of probation. Nigro had previous drug convictions.

Defense attorney Jeremy Pratt had sought the new trial, saying the defense should have received information about Guerrette’s heavy use of sleep aids so that it could have challenged his credibility at trial.

Hjelm ruled, however, that evidence shows that Guerrette’s heavy use of the sleep aids ended prior to the purchase of the cocaine from Nigro and before the search warrant was executed. The judge concluded there was no evidence that Guerrette was impaired during the events leading up to Nigro’s arrest.

Pratt said Wednesday that he’s disappointed in the ruling and strongly disagrees with it. He said no decision has been made on whether to appeal to the Maine Supreme Judicial Court.