WASHBURN, Maine — Fire destroyed a garage on Washburn Road on Friday afternoon.

Washburn Fire Chief Nate Allen said Friday evening that the fire began just before 2:30 p.m. at a 4 Washburn Road garage.

Crews arrived to find the building in flames. A nearby house was not threatened, Allen said.

Allen said that the owner was working on a vehicle in the garage when hot metal came in contact with gasoline and ignited. Information about the name of the individual was not immediately available.

The occupant was able to get out without injury. The garage was a total loss.

Crews were on the scene for more than two hours and received assistance from the Mapleton Fire Department and the Presque Isle Fire Department.