BANGOR, Maine — The Penobscot County grand jury indicted an Ellsworth man and a Dixmont man on sex charges involving juveniles in separate cases on Wednesday.
Philip Cyr, 43, of Ellsworth was indicted on charges of sexual exploitation of a minor, furnishing drugs and alcohol.
Assistant District Attorney Alice Clifford said the charges against Cyr stem from his alleged sexual involvement with a then 14-year-old girl.
Holden police Sgt. Chris Greeley, who was involved in the investigation, said that the alleged abuse occurred last year. He said the girl was hired to babysit at Cyr’s home, which was in Holden at the time.
His last known address was 667 Bangor Road in Ellsworth.
Police obtained a search warrant for that address in January. A document seeking the warrant filed in Hancock County District Court indicated that police were seeking computers, computer equipment, cameras, cellphones, visual images depicting persons under the age of 18, a red dress with spaghetti straps, a dark-colored hooded cloak, a short dark-colored whip with bristles on the end and a clear bullet-shaped vibrator.
The girl, who initially reported the alleged abuse to a friend and a trusted adult, told police that Cyr had intercourse with her, that he’d taken photographs of her and furnished her with marijuana and alcohol.
Daniel J. Preston, 43, of Dixmont also was indicted Wednesday. He was indicted on three counts of unlawful sexual contact with a 6-year-old child from Dixmont, Clifford said.
According to the Maine Sex Offender Registry, Preston is a 10-year registrant. He was sentenced out of state for gross sexual imposition and sexual assault. Additional details were not immediately available.
To reach a sexual assault advocate, call the Statewide Sexual Assault Crisis and Support Line at 800-871-7741, TTY 888-458-5599. This free and confidential 24-hour service is accessible from anywhere in Maine. Calls are automatically routed to the closest sexual violence service provider.


