BANGOR, Maine — The sentencing of former Brewer disc jockey and ex-Maine Sports Hall of Fame member Dana Wilson on a possession of child pornography charge is expected to be continued for at least a month, according to the Penobscot County district attorney’s office.
Wilson, 63, was scheduled to be sentenced on his conviction of the Class C crime at 1 p.m. Wednesday, July 23, at the Penobscot Judicial Center. He was found guilty July 1 by Superior Court Justice Ann Murray after a two-day, jury-waived trial in June.
Defense attorney Hunter Tzovarras of Bangor confirmed Thursday afternoon he requested the continuance because of health problems faced by Wilson’s elderly parents, who live in Florida. For the past year, Wilson has been living with them and caring for them, Tzovarras said earlier this month.
Roberts said he took no position on the motion to continue. The prosecutor said he expected Murray to grant it after Wilson submits information from his parents’ doctors about their medical problems.
Tzovarras said he asked for a four-week continuance. The sentencing might not be scheduled until late August or early September because of scheduling conflicts with Roberts and the judge.
Wilson remains free on $500 cash bail posted July 1 after Murray announced her verdict. A bail condition prohibits Wilson from having unsupervised contact with children under the age of 16.
His case has taken a number of twists and turns since he was indicted by the Penobscot County grand jury more than two years ago. The investigation that led to the indictment began in February 2011.
Roberts estimated Thursday there have been at least a dozen delays in Wilson’s case since the charge was lodged.
Wilson pleaded no contest May 23, 2013, before District Court Judge Greg Campbell as his jury-waived trial was about to begin.
On Aug. 19, the day before he was to be sentenced, Wilson fired his previous attorney, Jeffrey Silverstein of Bangor. Silverstein said Wilson sent him an email dismissing him without mentioning a reason.
Tzovarras was appointed to represent Wilson after he said his income had fallen so dramatically, as a result of the charge, that he needed to go on Social Security early. Wilson’s income and the fact that the prosecutor is seeking a jail sentence allowed him to qualify for a court-appointed attorney.
Superior Court Justice William Anderson in January allowed Wilson to withdraw his no contest plea and go to trial.
In March of this year, the trial was rescheduled for June to allow a computer expert hired by the defense to examine Wilson’s computer, according to a previously published report.
Wilson was inducted into the Maine Sports Hall of Fame in May 2012 for his basketball feats at Bangor’s Husson College, now Husson University, where he graduated in 1974. That honor was revoked May 29, 2013, by the hall’s board of directors, according to a previously published report.
He faces up to five years in prison and a fine of up to $10,000 on the charge. Wilson, who has no prior criminal record, will be required to register for life as a sex offender.
Roberts said last year he would recommend the judge sentenced Wilson to between 2½ and three years in prison with all but between six and nine months suspended. Roberts also said at that time he would urge the judge to impose two years of probation.
The prosecutor said July 1 he would be seeking a stiffer sentence after Wilson implicated his son as the person who might have downloaded child pornography on his computers. On Thursday, Roberts declined to say what sentence he would recommend be imposed.
Tzovarras said after the verdict was announced he would recommend Murray “sentence Wilson to probation or little or no jail time.”
To reach a sexual assault advocate, call the Statewide Sexual Assault Crisis and Support Line at 800-871-7741, TTY 888-458-5599. This free and confidential 24-hour service is accessible from anywhere in Maine. Calls are automatically routed to the closest sexual violence service provider.


