PORTLAND, Maine — A Portland woman has been charged in Massachusetts after allegedly fraudulently collecting $8,000 and attempting to obtain $12,500 more from a fund in Boston set up to assist victims of the Boston Marathon bombing.

Amey S. Molloy, 49, was arrested on Wednesday morning in Portland, according to Massachusetts Attorney General Martha Coakley. Molloy was charged with one count each of larceny over $250 and attempted larceny.

She is being held without bail at the Cumberland County Jail in Portland.

Molloy is scheduled to make her first court appearance Friday at the Cumberland County Courthouse. If she waives extradition, Molloy could be transported to a Boston jail before the end of the month. If Molloy decides to fight extradition, it most likely would be several months before she would be in court in Boston.

The woman claimed she underwent foot and hip surgery as a result of an injury she suffered at the Boston Marathon bombings on April 15, 2013, a press release issued by Coakley’s office said.

“We allege that this defendant defrauded The One Fund Boston by falsely claiming she had been injured at the Boston Marathon bombing,” Coakley said. “She allegedly stole money from the thousands of people who had so generously donated to help the real victims of the Marathon bombing.”

The attorney general’s office began an investigation in August 2014 after the matter was referred by The One Fund Boston when they became suspicious of a second claim filed by Molloy in July 2014, the press release said.

That investigation revealed that in June 2013, The One Fund Boston officials received a detailed and notarized claim from Molloy, which included several pages of purported medical records, indicating that she had undergone a surgical operation in Portland on her foot because of an injury she suffered during the bombings. Based on the information contained in her claim and the purported medical records attached to it, The One Fund Boston issued a payment of $8,000 to Molloy in July 2013.

In June 2014, The One Fund Boston announced that it would make a second round of distributions to victims with additional funds that were donated after the first distribution. The next month, The One Fund Boston officials received a second claim for compensation from Molloy, this one with several pages of purported medical records indicating she underwent hip surgery in Maine in August 2013 as a result of the foot injury she suffered at the bombings. Molloy would have received an additional $12,500 if her claim had been processed.

Subsequent investigation revealed that portions of the medical records attached to Molloy’s first and second claims were not authentic, and that she was not treated for any bombing-related injuries as indicated in the claims she prepared and submitted.

Molloy appears to be the first Maine resident to be charged in connection with falsely claiming she was a victim in the bombings.

In May 2014, a New York woman, Audrea Gause, pleaded guilty and was sentenced to two-and-a-half to three years in state prison in connection with collecting a fraudulent $480,000 claim from The One Fund Boston.

In June 2014, a pair of brothers from Boston were each sentenced to three years in state prison for attempting to defraud The One Fund Boston of $2.195 million by submitting a false claim on behalf of their dead aunt.

If convicted, Molloy faces up to five years in prison and a fine of up to $25,000. She also could be ordered to pay restitution.