ORONO, Maine — The Bangor Symphony Orchestra’s concert Sunday will go on without its announced featured soloist, Midori.

“It is with deep regret that violinist Midori is having to withdraw from her Bangor residency for medical reasons,” Brian Hinrichs, Bangor Symphony Orchestra executive director, said Wednesday in an email.

“The Friday master class at Minsky Hall at the University of Maine in Orono and the Bangor Symphony Youth Orchestras Concert at Bangor High School on Saturday have been cancelled,” he said.

Sunday’s program has been modified because of Midori’s absence, according to Hinrichs.

Schumann’s Violin Concerto in D minor will not be performed. Instead, guest violinist Jason Posnock will perform as soloist for Bach’s Concerto For Two Violins. He will be joined by soloists from the youth symphony. The two previously programmed works by Jean Sibelius, Finlandia and Symphony No. 1, remain on the program, to be led by music director and conductor Lucas Richman.

“I’m so disappointed not to be joining the Bangor symphony and its youth orchestra this week,” Midori said Wednesday in a statement issued by her publicist. “I know they have done so much work already to prepare, and I hope to work with the symphony to reschedule this program.”

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *