BROOKS, Maine — A man and a woman were both arrested Sunday and charged with various driving infractions after being caught by police driving a vehicle with no inspection sticker.

Deputy Merl Reed was patrolling in the town of Brooks when he spotted the vehicle, driven by a man later identified as Branden Ricker, 36, of Brooks. Kayla Ingraham, 27, of Freedom was in the passenger seat, according to a media report issued Monday by the Waldo County Sheriff’s Office.

Reed tried to get in a position where he could stop the vehicle, which turned in a driveway then down a side road, according to the press release.

“Deputy Reed attempted to catch up to the suspect vehicle and noticed the male driver run around the vehicle and enter the passenger side,” it stated. “When he approached the vehicle, the female passenger was now in the operator seat.”

Reed checked their licenses and learned that Ingraham is not allowed to drive because her license is under suspension. She was arrested for Class D operating after suspension. Ricker’s license is currently revoked, the police said. He also had two sets of active bail conditions, so he was charged with Class C operating after revocation, a felony, and violation of conditions of release, a misdemeanor.

“He’s had so many violations, so many arrests, so many traffic infractions that he’s graduated to the point where his license is suspended as a habitual offender,” Lieutenant Jason Trundy said. “He’s got a very extensive driving history.”

Ricker also is awaiting a hearing to determine what kind of sentence he will serve for stealing a significant amount of ammunition from a Brooks home in May 2013. The owner of the home, a long-distance trucker, contacted police after returning from a three-week work trip to find that thousands of dollars worth of ammunition were missing. He suspected Ricker, who had been staying at the residence, of the theft.

In December 2013, Ricker pleaded guilty at Waldo County District Court to a Class C charge of theft by unauthorized taking or transfer. The deferred disposition sentencing agreed to by the judge specified that in order to have a good outcome, Ricker would have to stay out of trouble for a year. If he did, he would spend 30 days in jail and pay $2,000 in restitution. With a bad outcome, he could face a steeper sentence for the theft charge.

According to court documents, the year ended on Jan. 29, and he is scheduled for a hearing later this month. It was not immediately clear whether the Feb. 8 driving arrest will change the outcome of the theft case.