PORTLAND, Maine — Prosecution witnesses testified Thursday that 72-year-old Yarmouth lobsterman Merrill Kimball could have avoided a confrontation with Leon Kelley on the day that he shot and killed the Georgetown man, and that Kimball’s breath smelled of alcohol immediately after the shooting.

Thursday marked the fourth day in the murder trial of Kimball, who is accused of shooting and killing Kelley, 63, on Oct. 6, 2013, at a North Yarmouth bee farm owned by Stan Brown.

Defense attorney Dan Lilley acknowledges that Kimball fired the shots that killed Kelley, but he has argued that Kimball shot the much larger Kelley in self-defense after Kimball, his wife, Karen Kimball, and her son arrived at the bee shop to collect honey they say was Karen Kimball’s.

Kelley was Brown’s son-in-law.

Thursday also marked the first time jurors heard directly from Merrill Kimball, as video and audio recordings of interviews following the shooting were played and transcripts read.

Orthopedic surgeon Dr. Richard Beauchesne, who performed a partial knee replacement on Kimball, testified Thursday morning that, despite the surgery and arthritis, Kimball could have “walked briskly away” from Kelley instead of shooting him.

Beauchesne viewed with the jury a videotape of a Nov. 4, 2013, re-enactment of the shooting in which Kimball demonstrated how he backed away from Kelley.

Responding to Assistant Attorney General John Alsop, a member of the prosecution team, Beauchesne said Kimball could have walked away “at a slow pace. I don’t think he could have sprinted away. I don’t think he could have run, but he could have walked briskly away.”

Alsop initially sought to show jurors just a segment of the videotape, but Lilley successfully argued that the jury see the entire video with sound.

In the video, Kimball says to a state police detective, “All of a sudden, this guy was in my face. … He started to push me back, back, back. The last push I went as quick as I could backwards this way. I don’t know if I said ‘stop’ or not. He didn’t. I shot — I shot two more times.”

As the video continues, Kimball says, “He was in my face — his great big hands. When he was pushing me, I saw the hands. I was afraid for my life. I thought I was going to get really beaten up or killed or both or whatever. That’s why I defended myself.”

Karen Kimball, who managed Brown’s bee farm, had worked on the farm for five years and kept her own hives. But members of Kelley’s family testified this week that they were increasingly concerned that she had access to the 95-year-old Brown’s debit card and checkbook.

Craig Rawnsley, Brown’s grandson and Kelley’s stepson, testified that he called Kimball that Sunday afternoon and asked her to come to the bee farm. Kelley family members have testified that the Kimballs sped into the driveway and pulled up to the bee shop to pick up 14 50-gallon buckets of honey, which Lilley said was worth about $5,000.

But when they arrived, a confrontation between Kelley and Merrill Kimball turned deadly, and Kimball shot Kelley three times. Kelley died later that afternoon at Maine Medical Center.

Kimball was not immediately arrested for the crime.

Two Maine State Police troopers who sat in a cruiser with Kimball on the afternoon of the shooting also testified Thursday morning. Trooper John Kyle, who arrived at the scene just as Kelley was being loaded into an ambulance, and Trooper Chris Farley, who sat next with Kimball for about 15 minutes, appeared as prosecution witnesses.

Farley told jurors, as Trooper Michael Edes testified Wednesday, he could smell alcohol on Kimball’s breath.

Kyle, however, said he did not detect the odor.

Kyle said he took Kimball, in handcuffs, to his cruiser and took a magazine clip, cellphone and wallet from the man.

He said he removed Kimball’s handcuffs and placed Kimball in the front seat of his cruiser.

Reading from notes taken of a taped conversation, Kyle on Thursday recalled Kimball said, “he attacked me, pushed me back. I almost fell down. He kept coming at me — he’s a big friggin’ guy. I thought I was going to get whooped and killed … he started to push me and kept pushing me, and I thought I was going to be really be hurt bad. … I was afraid for me, my life, so I shot him from about 10 feet away.”

Kyle said Kimball was “very calm” throughout and several times asked if Kelley was all right.

Jurors also heard an audiotape of Kimball’s subsequent conversation with Farley in a cruiser.

“I just hope this guy’s not going to die,” Kimball said on the tape. “But I’ll tell you something, I thought I was going to die. I’m 70 years old, and I’m too friggin’ old to take a whipping. That’s why I carry a firearm.”

Kimball told Farley he had been up since 2 a.m. and got off his boat at about 1 p.m.

Under cross-examination, Farley told Lilley that according to the transcript, he asked Kimball, “You’re not drunk, are you?”

“I only had two and that’s when I got off the boat at 1 o’clock,” Kimball said, according to the transcript. “Why, do I smell drunk? I had two drinks today — two rum and Cokes — and I’ve been up since 3 o’clock this morning.”

Farley said he saw no signs that would suggest Kimball was under the influence of alcohol.

On Thursday afternoon, Alsop spent more time trying to establish that the two drinks Kimball had should call into question the credibility of his account of the incident that led to the shooting.

Longtime family friend Randall Langmaid of Yarmouth testified Thursday that he poured Kimball two cocktails of Myers’ Rum and Coke in highball glasses early on the afternoon of the shooting, but that because he was low on liquor, the drinks together totaled about 2 ounces of liquor. He said Kimball left at about 2 p.m.

Langmaid told Alsop that he had never seen Kimball wear a gun, had never seen the black holster, and he said he did not know whether Kimball was wearing a gun when he left Langmaid’s house.

The trial is expected to continue into next week.